Mid-state band audition music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I just got the music for my Mid-state band audition this year. The lyrical piece is Bitsch, Vingt Etude, #17 and the technical is from 36 Celebrated Studies for Cornet by Bousquet, #13.

The Bitsch etude is actually, in my opinion fairly easy. I've played through it before and have actually worked extensively on this specific etude because, well, my lesson teacher told me to play Bitsch...so I did.

But, the Bousquet study is insane. Could anyone help me out with this etude it is really tripping me out.

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I can't seem to find my Bousquet book right now. But I can tell you this. I was one of the trumpet judges at TN Midstate auditions last year, and by the end of the day we were praying for someone to come in and play the technical exercise AT A TEMPO THEY COULD HANDLE. Everybody tried to play it at the designated tempo, and absolutely no one really nailed it. Do all the usual things: start slow, work small sections, gradually speed up as you get it down, use a metronome, MAKE MUSIC WITH IT. We will hear probably between 100 and 120 trumpet players that day. Make it enjoyable for us to listen to you. It will make you stand out from the crowd.

3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I did really well on my prepared pieces last year. That was one of the bright spots of my audition. Sight-reading was what got me.

But, you were one of the judges. Wow, what a coincidence. Maybe I can give yuo what number I will be this year and you could boost me a few extra points lol? Just kidding but, that's kind of cool.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Get your Arban out and work those interval studies beginning on p. 125. Also, hit the articulation studies.

Isolate, isolate and isolate. Bousquet is full of those moving 16th interval type things. Practice the moving notes only to get the direction of them. Then do the upper to lower or main to upper neighbor notes that surround them. Try modifying the rhythms to triplets (or from triplets to 4's or 2's), dotted rhythms, with dotted notes on both the down beat and in the middle of the beat. Vary articulations. Transpose the licks to different keys...don't be afraid to try harder keys that what's written.

And like Mike said...play the audition at a tempo you can handle cleanly. Maybe even think a shade under that to compensate for adrenalin, and keep the tempo rock solid.