Mid Winter Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sterling, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    So, all of my holiday gigs have been over for a while and winter has settled in. It's time to start trying new tricks. Right now I'm going through my Phil Smith solo book and playing everything up a perfect 5th on my Schertzer pic. I hate that transposition and I need to get reaquainted with this instrument. What are the rest of you doing to jump start your brain?

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Uh . . well . . I kinda . . like . . u know . . I mean . . sort of . .
    uh . . what´s that question again?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I have a period where I have less to do, I get back to the basics:
    breathing exercizes, slurs, quiet playing as well as normal playing with the natural trumpet (lip trills and intervals).

4. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    keeping my ears open and listen for everything....when I hear something I like I go in to my practiseroom and try to do something like the thing I heard. It could be some trumpet solopart I hear when Im waching a movie or what ever hits me as "wow" or "nice" :-)

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I was taking Arbans and playin them on picc, both in A and Bb. I also go through and transpose Arbans in other keys as well. I just stay playing a lot, but am putting the horn down today to go out and hit some ski jumps with my friends.
    Also, just working on different pieces or concertos is a good exercise. Or playing pieces on different horns, just mixing it up and keeping it interesting.
    How's that Conn working out, Sterling?

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Both Conns are working out very well, thank you! My favorite horn right now is my Shepherd's Crook Bach Strad 184L with a Prana B6FL mouthpiece. I don't know why, but it tends to be my January-February horn. I use it to reaquaint myself with the Clarke Characteristic Studies. Also, for midwinter blahs, I'm playing the Clarke Technical Studies on my Schertzer pic using the fourth valve for D instead of 1and3, and C# 2and 4 instead of 123. It's also about time to take my keyed bugle to school and play along with my seventh graders!

7. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Spending time seeing what you guys are up to on the forums....

8. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yea, I am in Florida. So, I usually go surfing.However, the weather really isn't cooperating lately so I guess I will go to work.