Middle School Private Lessons Regimen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jfrancis, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Hey there all...I have been requested to give private lessons to a couple of middle schoolers. Though I can talk Arbans, Clarke and the like. Does anyone have a favorite methods book (outside of the usual band methods) they'd recommend to step into an Arban's book - or do you think Arban's (or maybe St. Jacome) would be the best method to start young ones in (estimated one year experience).

Thanks a bunch!

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't teach, in fact I'm in the middle of a comeback. However, I'm taking lessons from one of Claude Gordon's direct students. I'd recommend Gordon's Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing. I know his Systematic Approach has really helped me.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Arban-St.Jacome Method for Cornet or Trumpet is what my teacher had me use back in the day, before taking on the Arban. It is smaller and cheaper and not so intimidating as Arban. Saint-Jacome's Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet had some interesting flexibility stuff (much like Arban) but tongued. I could do lip slurs all day long, but to tongue those fried my chops after a couple of minutes.

To practice the stuff we are bad at rather than playing stuff we already can do is one of the best lessons a teacher can give.

4. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Great...keep the ideas coming folks. cfkid I am currently prepping to do Systematic Approach and blogging on it at gloryhorn.com. So yes, great idea. VBrother - thanks I had not used that. I started Arbans as an eighth grader and was blown away - then bought St. J in college when taking Brass Pedagogy, I am thinking of doing some of my own exercises as well.

5. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I love the Schlossberg book. It's been a favorite since high school.

6. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Steve, I am now on my 4 Schlossberg book, I wore the cover off one, and gave two others away. cfkid -- I ordered the Elementary Book today, thanks for the heads up.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know from who cfkid is taking lessons. He is a good person that really knows what he is doing.

8. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Sigmund Hering's method books are good. That's what I was drilled in (among other things). :oops: