MIDI Software for Trumpets???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Nov 24, 2010.

1. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Greetings and thanks in advance for your help!

Can anyone recommend a MIDI converter software that will allow me to plug in an MP3 or WAV audio file and get notes for trumpet or voice in return?

FYI, I have purchased the sheet music of a few songs written for voice and have learned them but I am having a time converting some of the (unwritten) vocal improvisations contained in the songs to actual notes.

I went to my good friend Mr. Google for help but there seems to be a lot of options out there and I want to go with something that a few people here on TrumpetMaster have actually used before.

Thanks!

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    You're talking about a audio analysis program that will convert audio to music notation in some format. As far as I can tell, there is not a successful application yet. I may be wrong, and would be interested in hearing about one if it exists.

3. trumpetbeast

trumpetbeast New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    there is a great program that you can input notes and hear them back, also it has an, "enable midi input" ,button, though i have no idea how well it works. It is called MuseScore. I don't know if it will work on windows though. It is free and runs on linux (an open source operating system), i have no idea if it runs on windows or not, but i would give it a try.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To convert or transpose piano-vocal sheet music for Bb cornet / trumpet is a snap (for me at least). Raise the notes one step and add two sharps to key signature. Usually, I can sight read this transposition. One can obtain lots of practice using church hymnals in which ocassionally one will note a descant vis a type of improvisation which really only works well when there is music playing the regular music (accompaniment).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tgl, what you (and a lot of us) are looking for is a pitch-to-midi-converter. There are some on the market that work well for guitar, used as a triggering device for synthesizers, but to my knowledge there isn't a trustable system for microphone--there are accuracy and synching issues that make the old tried and true method of notating music by hand the best way. There is a growth curve, but it helps us grow as musicians.

Have fun!

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    im pretty sure its not possible.... midi works very well on thinks like keyboards as the signal a keyboard produces is electronic. it is not designed for sound files to be converted into electric sounds and so its very very difficult to do. if you have something like sibalius download the midi file you want (from hammienet.com is a good site) and import it into sibalius then you can clean it up and transpose it and do what you want with it :)

btw midi stands for musical instrument DIGITAL interface

7. Shofarblast

Shofarblast New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Kentucky
    There are midi converters for guitars and bass that you attach, kind of like adding another pickup to the guitar and then a hardware unit designed for that guitar attachment. I have never used one so I don't know how well they work. It seems that if they can do it for the vibrations on a guitar string they should be able to do it for the sound coming from a trumpet. But, I've been wrong once already this year (lol) so, I might be wrong about this. I would like to know if someone finds one.

I recently bought an Akai electronic wind controller (EWI 4000s) and I love it. Fingerings are pretty simple so I have been playing around with it. Plays like a clarinet or sax but it has trumpet like fingerings you can use also. Of course it is a midi instrument so to get sound you have to connect it to an amplifier or sound system of some sort (headphones also work). It has a built in synthesizer. The sounds are not exactly like the acoustic version of the instruments but very cool. I have the patchmanmusic patches which are much better than the ones that come from the factory.

I will check on patchmanmusic.com's forum to see if anyone knows of something like what you are wanting. There are a lot of trumpet players there who also use the wind controllers.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010