Midsummer nights dream

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by laurie, Feb 3, 2005.

1. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    GDay
    I am doubling on Horn in a local little orchestra, and am required to play the Nocture from midsummernights dream. We had a run through it last night at what I thought was a terribly slow tempo. Its marked con moto tranquillo. Is anyone familiar enough with it to know the appropriate tempo for this. I cant get any recordings locally or quickly enough to check tempos myself. We played it at about 50 bpm and the conductor insists that its an appropriate tempo. He is probably correct but it just dosnt feel right to me.
    Many thanks
    Laurie

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    con moto tranquillo

con = with
    moto = motion
    tranquillo = tranquilly; quietly; calm.

So roughly, with a quiet or calm motion. That would suggest not being hurried. The moto part would suggest that there is some motion. I interpret that as not too slow.

But since I am a conductor, I would say that the conductor gets the blame if things go wrong, therefore what the conductor says should be adhered to. Now I am the kind of conductor that will take suggestions. I also almost always error on the faster side.

There is not going to be a strict BPM tempo for that marking. It is like a march tempo. 120 is common but so is 135 for some marches. If the conductor is open to suggestions, politely state your opinion. If not, enjoy at the slow tempo
    :D
    if possible!

Jim

3. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Hi Jim
    I had a chat with the conductor after rehearsal, His response was "I Show no mercy" I spent some time on the piece today, and can make the thing flow a little better if I play it a little quicker. Other wise, I will just have to plod along and do my best. Maybe I should weaken his resolve with a beer or 3 ;-)
    You are probably correct, if things fall in a heap the conductor cops it. Except when its a delicate and long solo passage like this one. Then all eyes are on you.....

Cheers
    Laurie[/code]

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Laurie,

Your conductor is on the slow end of correct if you think of the average tempi being between 50 and 60 with 60 being on the brisker end I've heard. But he's just barely there even though he's within legal limits and not in fear of being ticketed by the tempolice!

As soon as he crosses into the high 40s, make a 911 call and they might be able to get the critics to impose a fairly strict penalty.

ML

5. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks Manny
    My partner in crime on second trumpet called around yesterday. We have agreed that if the conductor wont lift the tempo a little we will remove his after rehearsal "beer with the Brass" privlidges. He is a decent bloke so we think he will agree. This is my first time playing a solo passage on Horn, and as I am an amatuer player its an enourmous challenge. And a heap of fun.

Cheers
    Laurie

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I just had to ....

[​IMG]

7. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    And I am glad you did!!!!!! :lol:
    Laurie

8. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Not sure if this is off-topic, but has anyone ever heard of or played Britten's version of this opera?

9. Bryan_sop_trumpet

Bryan_sop_trumpet New Friend

Jan 22, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    I did the Midsummer nights dream in 2000 with my university. Had to practically beg the head of music to let me do it and I was one of the only non-pro players on the solo parts. It's quite a tricky part, written for D trumpet. Some nasty entries too, concert top Cs at pianissimo aren't uncommon. Had great fun though!