Mike Vax, Horses and Cows

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Wow!! I was trying to look up the Pop's Music Store web site out where I am in the Prescott AZ area and well, they don't have one. Just gotta go there. That's how it is out here in horse'n'cow country. But, I found out a guy named Mike Vax comes out here, and I've seen his name mentioned on here. It looks like he'll be out here the end of March. Pretty cool.

Still gotta just jump on the mo'cycle and *go* to Pop's to see if they're open again and if they have an Arban's though lol.

2. FreshmanTrumpeteer

FreshmanTrumpeteer New Friend

Oct 24, 2007
    I dont know pretty much anything about music history, but I saw his name here before when looking at the Getzen trumpets. This is the "Mike Vax" model. It also says it at the banner at the top of the page.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Mike Vax is a veteran of the Stan Kenton band and a bunch of other world class bands. He's an excellent trumpet player and if you have an opportunity to see him, then take it. It will be well worth your time.

bigtiny

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Mike comes to St. Louis regularly to perform with the Stan Kenton Alumni Band.
    The Alumni Band is organized by Jim Widner at the University of Missouri St. Louis. The members fly into St. Louis and rehearse for a few days. Then they go on a road tour.

Mike will take this time to do clinics in the area. He will be here in a couple of months, maybe weeks. His concert will be at Principia High School, St. Louis.

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I'm just jazzed that a guy like that comes to this podunk town. I will try to see him if I can somehow.

6. Brett Getzen

Brett Getzen Pianissimo User

Sep 19, 2006
    Elkhorn, WI
    Not only does he come there, he actually has a house in the area. I'm pretty sure that is where Mike is planning on moving when he retires.

Oh, and Elkhorn, WI is the real cow country. :D

Brett Getzen

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Brett, do you have any Amish around there? I live in the middle of Amish country in Indiana. We actually have a small farm.

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I've been in Pops's. Pretty much a guitar shop, with some percussion . They may have some sheet music, but I wouldn't bet heavily that they'll have anything you might want. Seem to be nice enough though, maybe they could order something for you.

9. Brett Getzen

Brett Getzen Pianissimo User

Sep 19, 2006
    Elkhorn, WI
    There's not an Amish in this part of the state. There are a lot in the southwestern corner though. That's furniture shop and bed & breakfast country.

Brett Getzen

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Tourist trap country. :) I bet you're getting terrible weather right now. It is alternating between snowing and flooding, every other day it seems like, here.