Mike Vax Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Lowell, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Lowell

Lowell New Friend

Oct 5, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Hello, Has anyone has any experience playing the Yamaha YTR6335HSMV?

Thanks of you could let me know that would be great.

Thanks,

Lowell

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    A friend of mine owned one for a while. I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough. I thought it was a nice horn that responded well to different mouthpieces. By this I mean it got brighter with a small piece and darker with a large piece than with my horn. The lightweight bell really adds a lot of sizzle but the gold brass warms it up nicely.

It didn't grab me and beg me to buy it but it was certainly a nice horn.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    isnt it one of theSchilke copies? if so you could get some info on the Schilke Loyalist web site.

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    The Mike Vax horn has a heavy ML bore valve section, large bore tuning slide(standard tuning), and a lightweight gold brass bell. I can't imagine what Schilke it's a copy of.

On the Schilke Loyalist site it does say that Vax played and S32 for a number of years. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. :-)

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The 7XX series, 6310Z and 8310Z are Schilke-like designs, more or less. The MV is more Bach-like, in the Yamaha way in style since the Heavy series started in the late 1980s.

Dave

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I'm trumpetpimp's friend. I used to have Mike Vax. It is a really nice playing horn, but I'm one of those people who didn't like the generic-ish sound of a Yamaha horn. I thought it was definately a better horn than the Xeno, though. I sold it to a fellow in Texas who last I heard seems to be enjoying it.

7. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I've played a Vax model for 3 years now and I love it! I'm not sure
    where these comments such as it's Bach-like and similar to a Schilke
    are coming from. The dual bore design gives it what I feel is a very
    unique blow. It's very responsive and not at all heavy in feel or sound.
    I use mine for everything...quintet, commercial, classical.

It does have some of the not so positive Yamaha traits too. The monel
    valves do get sticky and need to be cleaned a little more regularly
    than other makers valves. The valve casing seems a little too light.
    Too much left hand grip and the valves sieze momentarily (I've played
    3 of these and each did that). I've never done that to any other make
    horn.

Overall, it's a horn I thoroughly enjoy even with it's "quirks".

Paul

8. Lowell

Lowell New Friend

Oct 5, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Hand problem

Hi Paul,

I have never hear this comment about the valves before that you have made.

By the way you are not a Stone Cutter by trade are you? :)

Thanks for the tip.

Lowell

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/B flat trumpets.html

"Though that description is not very helpful, it appears to me that the goal of the design was to produce a horn with the sound of a Bach, i.e., a solid core, very opaque and dense, while trying to maintain the unequaled responsiveness and intonation of the lighter weight Schilke trumpets. I suggested this in correspondence with Mike Vax, who played a prototype S32 for many years and was, he said, involved in the design process, and he said the comparison with Bach was never made to him, however Vax admitted he generally dislike Bach horns so the fact that it wasn't mentioned to him may have intentional. For me, it seems so obvious that it would be hard for it to be otherwise, especially given the popularity of Bach trumpets in the Midwest United States and the influence of the Chicago Symphony brass players in Chicago. The 'S' Series horns are made of heavier gauge materials, have additional bracings and a squarer tuning slide, and are even designed with a larger mouthpiece gap. All three models share the same bell. It is true that the horns sound more Bach-like, but it is equally true that they are not as responsive and nimble as the Schilke lighter weight B/X series. Whether the compromise is valuable depends on the feel and sound the player desires. However, since their introduction in 1983, these horns have become very popular and among Schilke's best sellers."

i dont know if the yamahas are a copy or not, but that tells alittle about vax's work with Schilke.

10. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    My wife has one of the last Mike Vax trumpets made. We bought it several years ago while testing V-1's. We are not big Yamaha fans but this horns plays real well. it fits in any venue and I would never compare it to a Bach(I have had 5 or 6 Strads and this horn is head and shoulders above any of them). If they had had 2 of them we would have probably bought both. It is a very responsive horn and I can't really think of any thing bad to say about it. I have had no problems with the vavles at all. If you can find one try it it out,you just might like it. old geezer Dave :cool: