Miles Davis Biography

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    TrumpetMaster friends,

I recently read, "Deep In A Dream, The Long Night Of Chet Baker" and it was hard to put down. Very interesting life.

Now I'm looking for a biography on Miles Davis to read. To all that knew or knew of him, what would you consider the most accurate, well written biography on Miles Davis.

Thanks,
    BD
    :D

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Read his autobiography. It is called Miles.
    You should also check out Chet's memoirs. It covers him from when he went in to the army to when he gets busted in Italy for drugs.
    And Charles Mingus' autobiography Beneath the Underdog. It is amazing.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

His autobiography is ... interesting. Definitely a worthwhile read. Some bits maybe a little bit like the man himself. He says what he thinks regardless of the circumstances

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Barnes and Noble Gift card that I had burning a hole in pocket has been put to good use as I purchased all 3 books.
    Thank you,
    Brekelefuw and bagmangood.

5. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    Mingus' "autobiography" is terrible. It's sort of vaguely amusing in a "so bad it's good" way, but it is basically 200 pages of (mostly made-up) stories of him having sex with tons of women and becoming a pimp. It has next to nothing about music, Mingus' role in music or how he came to play music or jazz, or anything about other musicians except for half a dozen pages of made-up dialogue with Fats Navarro and one scene with Miles and Charlie Parker. It's a trainwreck.

I found that So What by John Szwed to be the best Miles bio I've read, but Miles' autobiography is fantastic as well and incredibly entertaining.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I enjoyed the Miles bios by Ian Carr and Quincy Troupe.

Garry

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It may not be entirely truthful, but it is entertaining. If you read his wife's biography of him called "Tonight at Noon" you get the full picture of him. It continues from where Mingus left off, and ends with his death in Mexico in 74( I think it was 74)

8. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    There was a line in that one that said he was bisexual. Is there any truth to that?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    He made love to his horn too. I guess that makes him at least bisexual. Sexual preference is not significant and few of us knew him personally, so any comments are more like "opinions" or "myths" instead of FACT. I do not like myths/BS and hope that no one posts such about this incredible trumpet player.

10. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    I believe there were rumors, mostly fuelled by Quincy Troupe's confirmation that Miles was on AZT - which wouldn't have been used for anything else but AIDS in the 1980s as far as I know - when he died.