Miles Davis' Neck

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Seen any of the videos where it PUFFs out?

Is that something that just happens with some people?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is in fact something that just happens with some people. It is not a technique that players should try and develop. It offers no advantage.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I didn't think it did!

Kinda scary looking:-o

4. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    That's a laryngocele, it's a medical condition. In most people it's not an issue, but for some people the stress of playing causes their throat or a portion thereof to balloon out. That person and their doctor has to decide if it's a problem or not.

For the record, I have one on the right side of my throat, a side effect of Marfan's syndrome. When it gets to inflating, it's pretty uncomfortable. Part of the major reason I prefer freer blowing instruments. Backpressure seems to make it flare up more, and a more open instrument lessens its effects. These are subjective observations, though, and I'm not a doctor, just a man who spends too much of his time around them.

BTW, it's also called glassblower's disease, and happens to oboe players more often-both places where there's a lot of backpressure when blowing.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I also noticed this. It's very prominent in a British documentary of Miles.

There is also concert footage of him with his quintet in Sweden in the 60's that shows amazing closeups. They're in black and white but the lighting is really good to see a kind of ever changing landscape of muscles and air pockets in the front of his face.

By comparison, Wayne Shorter's face is relatively serene when he plays.

What is all that activity in Miles' face when he's playing? Is that a reflection of air velocity? Intensity?

Turtle

There could be something wrong with my mirror, but it shows no such activity when I'm playing ..... :-? :lol:

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Nobody beat Dizzy Gillespie for a puffed neck (and face). I watched a video of him playing because I was intrigued by the question of how his neck could inflate and deflate when playing fast notes.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I can't look! I won't look! :-o

8. Yochillum

Yochillum New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    It happens a lot with Sax players as well. Just a by-product of slowly releasing a lot of air, and given enough playing it hapens to a lot of musicians believe it or not. I once had an instructor named Kim Gast who we affectionately referred to as frog-neck. it was something to behold. As a matter of fact, while writing this I stumbled on a pic of him on flickr... enjoy.[​IMG]

9. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Rowuk your such a horses ass for making a statement like that. No one is built the same and there are many different techniques out there to help trumpet players achieve goals, each person has to find out what works best for them. For you to make such an unprofessional, thoughtless judgement about something as important as opening your throat shows your huge lack of knowledge in the subject of correct trumpet form. Look at Maynard, Bill Chase, Wayne Bergeron, Doc, and some of your own people on this site for gods sake and you’ll simply SEE them opening the throat, some more than others but they all do it, and WHY…….Hmmmm it wouldn’t be to move the AIR now would it !!! Take a look at the Three Tenors on Youtube, it’s exactly the same thing and these guys set themselves up in the perfect head position to open their throat to get the most air……..So tell me Rowuk, how many up and coming trumpet players have you ruined or turned off to playing due to your “It’s my way or the highway” blinders on teaching techniques.
    I feel sorry for the young players on here that think you really know what your talking about. They will be screwed up for years to come. One good thing you do say is get a good teacher, hopefully it’s not you !!

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hoghorn - it is not the opening of the throat which is being discussed. Puffing neck ala Miles is a sign of tissue breakdown and not a healthy thing at all. It is more likely a by-product of Miles very unhealthy lifestyle and I would not encourage any performer to emulate it. He was able to play despite such a problem.

If you have an objection to someone's post why can't you express it in a civil manner?