Miles Davis' Neck

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Jun 26, 2010.

1. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    hey hey you heard veery715 lets not feed this troll

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys, we are not in the lounge.

What hoghead posted is in fact the myths that many believe. That is why I continually make an effort to set the record straight. That there is a certain amount of resistance to changing a point of view is clear to me. Most posters here are not as impolite. Vulgarity often starts when the brain runs out of logical arguments. That also applies to trumpet sound by the way.

I am not a big fan of wikipedia and the like , but it would offer people like hoghorn a better understanding of basic anatomy.

The Lung Association of Saskatchewan

Trachea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cartilage is hard and not able to be blown up like a balloon regardless of the lies that we were told by people that didn't know better.

Tension is the enemy!

3. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    My neck puffs not as much as Miles or other examples mentioned... I consider it a natural blessing and a huge atvantage over other players, it increases my phrasing capacity and overall tonal quality... I do not believe it can be developed its just something I was born with or occured over time... I completley dissagree with the negative comments on the subject...

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arthur,
    the capacity of the lungs and the amount of air that can pass the lips/throat of the mouthpiece determine your phrasing capacity. If you have a bucket with a 1/16" hole in the bottom it does not matter if you fill the bucket with a 1/2" or 5" hose. The 1/16" is the controlling factor for how much water flows out. In the case of a trumpet, there is even additional resistance from the horn that does not let more air flow by adding higher pressure. That is why the myth of an open throat will remain a myth. What happens is we lower tension. That does not make MORE air flow (it has no where to go), it improves every aspect of our body use by allowing the muscles to react in a more controlled and relaxed way.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For those of you that don't want to believe me, here is some other documentation by an engineer well known for designing some of the most popular brass instruments.

http://www.smithwatkins.com/pdf/gettingtech05.pdf

I remind the sceptics that I only offer information where I have some personal experience.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Thanks Rowuk, That is fascinating (reaching for mouthpiece and hacksaw), I will see If I can reproduce the experiment, would make a great demonstration.

Regards, Stuart.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    you can use a rubber balloon or saran wrap for the diaphragm, it really doesn't matter. You will have to play with the tension a bit.

It only proves that "moving air" is only needed to get the lips vibrating and give us natural breathing periods so that we don't suffocate or hyperventilate. The trumpet could care less where the excitement of the standing wave comes from.

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    well... interesting. I just came off a bonsai tree forum, which was very insightful, where the people are so kind. hahaha, coming here was like a walk on the dark side. god bless the trolls, thanks rowuk for your insight once again :)

9. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Rowuk always comes well armed.You can not argue with someone who always has the facts

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Man, I think you need some beta blockers.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010