Miles Davis on a Cyndi Lauper tune "Time After Time"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    It always stuck in my craw when I heard a noted jazz trumpet diss Miles for his recording of Cyndi Lauper's famous tune (here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddHP8_Em7s )

I
    withheld the name of the famous cat who put Miles down. If only because this is a thread dedicated to not prejudging others. However I almost want to print the fool's name in inch high letters.

This guy actually dissed Miles while Miles was still alive! Miles got him back Hint: The (name withheld) trumpet player has a famous brother who plays sax...

Another negative critique I always wished wasn't writ is Pat Metheny's infamous diatribe into Kenny G. (here JazzOasis.com - Pat Metheny on Kenny G)

I respect Pat Metheny but he should have known better. His diss against Kenny G was uncalled for and indicates to me some kind of ulterior motive. Human jealousy.

And Kenny G probably isn't worth all the hate. As my minister tells me whenever I get pissed:

"Don't give away power".

End lecture. Now let's go back to listening to Miles. Thanx.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Seems like your post is intended to inspire some fire. If the critiques irritated you then why point them out? Let sleepiing dogs lie.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It is interesting as the trumpet person to which you refer has very good things to say about Miles in his book "Higher Ground". Perhaps maturity and a few years under the bridge has helped in his perspectives of Miles.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    One thing I have figured out about Miles .... there are reasons for the things he does .... I absolutely have no idea why he performed that piece but you can bet he had a good reason... I doubt it was a tribute to her leopard stretch pants ... I saw an interview with Lauper once and she said she had multiple offers for recording contracts but she wouldn't take any of them until she got a video contract ( the early MTV years)... shrewd business move in that era.

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    There was nothing new about Miles taking a popular tune and converting to jazz. All of jazz indicates this as the staple diet of their repertoire.

In fact Miles was always given hell for stepping out of the "correct path". As if there ever was a "correct" way to develop creative music.

His 1969 album "B-tches Brew" really upset the critics. Good for him I say.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I have to say I prefer Miles' version over Cindy Lauper's. It does seem like a kind of odd choice for him .... but Miles was Miles, he could do whatever he wanted. End result is pretty cool.

Turtle

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I happen to think that that New Orleans jazz trumpeter was right about Miles. The good comes with the bad and while one can question the motives, brilliance and innovation are no excuse for bad behavior. MD had no reason to have a chip that big on his shoulder.

8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    "Time After Time" was a pop tune

"Bye Bye Blackbird" was a pop tune

Miles took some criticism for playing "Bye Bye Blackbird" when he recorded that song. His response was that a melody is a melody and he would play whatever he felt like playing on.

9. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I tend to agree on Pat Methenys take on Kenny G. I can't stand his playing! On the song "At Last" featuring Arturo Sandoval, I have made a version where I have cut out all the sax parts...haha...:-)

Sorry Kenny, (IF you read this), you are a MUCH better player than me, just not my cup of tea.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Other trumpeters can whine and moan all they want about Miles .... He's still ahead of them (in terms of overall influence in the jazz world) by many miles. And when Miles was on top, nobody wanted to be like them, they all wanted to be like Miles.:dontknow:

Turtle