Miles Davis on a Cyndi Lauper tune "Time After Time"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Oct 17, 2011.

1. awaite

awaite New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    Prince Edward Island
    Miles Davis was an artist. Timeless.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    His musical accomplishments are recognized everywhere. That does not excuse other things however. Everyone else wanted to play like him, not act like him.

I agree though, a melody is a melody.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Agreed. Miles doesn't make a very good role model in terms of behavior and actions. A great role model for young trumpeters (or anyone, really) is CLARK TERRY. His autobiography just came out.:thumbsup:

Turtle

4. awaite

awaite New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    Prince Edward Island
    Totally agree- he was a musical genius... so was Jaco...

5. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Rowuk, I agree with you as well- when it comes to Miles and some other artists, sometimes it's best to separate the artist's work from the individual.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Miles was very smart and much of what he did and said was calculated. Don't get sucked into believing all of it. I just listen to the music and like it or don't and don't let the rest of it bother me.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I believe that it is always best to separate them. Stories of the tortured personalities of artists are legion. As are threads about them (B. Rich anyone?). Eventually the artist and his art become separated permanently, and what survives is a testament to the creative process. Sometimes it is a miracle that ANYTHING gets created.

I think we like to be able to say, "Oh, what a jerk (insert famous artist's name here) was(is)", as if that moves us closer to matching that individual's accomplishments. Too bad, as it says a lot more about us than anyone else. We're all human and ain't no one better than anyone else in that department.

8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Amen...