Miles Davis' Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
  2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  3. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Wilmer :-)

Ya I was thinking it was a strange horn for Miles to have too. I know that in the fusion part of his career he played b-flat red laquered Martin Committes. (Hence Leblanc's Red production Committee which I own). I know when he went main-stream fusion in the last 10 years of his career he played exclusivly red Martins. I think that he experimented in the 70's before his 5 year hiatus with green and black laquered Martins. But still what a horn! :cool:

PS Wilmer, please educate me...who is Ghitalla? :oops: If you dont ask questions you wont get answers ;-)

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Armando Ghitalla was the Principal Trumpet of the Boston Symphony after Roger Voisin left the orchestra. Ghitalla not only was a fine orchestral player, but he was also an important soloist. I think his was the first recording of the Hummel Concerto in E.
    Ghitalla was a bit of an equipment nut. He used a horn the guys called a "Tottlephone." Remember those 4 valved, bell-tuned horns ? Tottle was a repairman/mouthpiece maker.....I have a 1T around here somewhere :cool:
    Ghitalla was playing or a while a Martin prototype C. It was excellent.
    Miles horn does not look like the horn I remember.
    Wilmer

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm thinking that "gift" fom Miles was a bit tongue in cheek. I'm betting it wasn't an instrument he particularly prized but gave it to Rutgers anyway. Kind of like Picasso paying restaurant checks by making a little scribbled drawing on a napkin because he was who he was.

ML

6. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Wilmer :-)

Thanks for the education on Ghitilla and the Tottlephone. I love to learn stuff like that. Its the little things that add to our knowlege that make us who we are :cool:

Hey Manny

Ya I totally agree with you. From the description of the horn I dont think it was something he particularly prized, but to a regular nightclub player like me it would be a thrill to play something that Miles played. Im totally into Miles, Dizzy and Bird. I sometimes wish time travel were possible because it would be so cool to see them playing gigs together in the 40's.
    I did get to meet Miles backstage in 1990 which was an honor for me. Guess I was born 50 years to late :lol:

Thanks for the input Wilmer/Manny. This site is great in part because of special guys like you :cool:

7. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Rumor is that Miles looked into the C trumpet during his early to mid-70s period, when he was looking for a higher, brighter sound...if you know those recordings you'll know he was doing a lot of stuff above high C and was additionally trying to cut through dense jungles of sound. Obviously it didn't replace his Bb.

He also around this time had Martin make him a (supposedly) solid copper trumpet--must've been very dark and warm. Wallace Roney owns it now.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    pangaea wrote:
    If it was solid copper, how did he get air throught it?

-cw-

9. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Pangaea

Cool stuff to know about the 70's session :cool: Yes I heard that Wallace owns one of Miles horns (Lucky Guy!) He and Miles became quite close during the Montreaux session in June 1991 when he played second horn for Miles in the Quincy Jones revival of the old Gil Evans stuff. I have it on VHS and its an INCREDIBLE concert. Sadly it was Miles' last before he died on September 28 a few months later :cry:

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I was searching for some info and came across this old post. Maybe this has been corrected somewhere else?

Ghitalla played most of his career in Boston with Voisin but Leinsdorf switched their positions in 1966.

Boston Symphony Orchestra Principal Musicians Index Point_