Miles movie in development.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    In the course of trying to sell my screenplays, I came across a Hollywood production company that has an "Untitled Miles Davis Project" in development. Since this is the actor Don Cheadle's production company, I'm guessing it's going to be a feature film with him in the role of Miles.

The Hollywood Directory is not only a listing of producers, but a production tracking book as well. Next step after development is production .... Could be out in year or two.:thumbsup:

Aiiyyy .... there's more. With a musical score by Herbie Hancock.

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My recommendation would be to have Wallace Roney play the lead role. Check out this link: With the right hair piece and a cool set of glasses, I see a possibility. The sound Wallice can make - that's a piece of cake.

Wallace Roney: The Official Site About

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wallace may be able to play like Miles but can he act? I would go with Don Cheadle because he is a fine actor. This Miles Davis movie project seems to have been going on for a few years. It's not listed on IMDB as even being in pre-production. Isn't this what happened to the Chet Baker Movie too? Limbo.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Productions often take years. Development IS pre-production. I think they have already done a publicity poster and have a tentative release date of 2013. I think Don already has the part .... his production company is producing it.;-)

This is exciting. Don Cheadle looks like Miles. Being able to actually play trumpet would be a minor consideration when portraying a famous player. It's all hidden in the mp anyway ... you push a few buttons ..... Viola! ACTING is the crucial thing here and Don is one of the best. With a musical score by Herbie Hancock the production should rock! Or rather it should Jazz!

Turtle

5. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to disagree with you Turtle as I work in the entertainment world. Development is in-development and not Pre-Production. Tropic Thunder was in rewrites and limbo for 10 years before it got made. I agree with you that Don Cheadle would be an excellent choice. :-)

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well Tara Fitzgerald played the flugle solo in "Orange Juice" in the movie Brassed Off - and in hindsight, it is apparent to me as a trumpet player that she isn't - but it took me a couple of viewings to really analyse what I should have been looking at ... :shock:;-) or maybe I was looking at what I should have been looking at - whatever, the solo WAS special. Not all in the MP though. :oops:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Oh yeah? You wouldn't be a producer, would you? And yes, things can really drag in Hollywood, can't they ... My advisor tells me that often it's the best films that are the hardest ones to get made. The easiest movie to launch now would probably be one in which the protagonist is a comic book superhero who has to battle vampires on a deserted island where they're filming an episode of "Survivor."

Ted, I didn't see that one ...... Richard Gere did his own Cornetting in "Cotton Club", with good results in the solos and Gary Oldman did one very hard piano passage early in the film (Immortal Beloved, about Beethoven), so the audience would stop wondering if he was really playing (only the one piece). Clever filmmaking .... I think that one piano part was harder for Oldman than any of the acting.:lol:

The promotional poster they shot has Don Cheadle in a characteristic back arched pose, playing the trumpet and looking very much like Miles. The hard part would be getting Miles' gruff voice just right, especially in his later years. From what I understand, Don collaborated on a script already with a screenwriter ... Why nobody has done a Miles movie yet is a mystery.

Turtle

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Hey, keep us updated about this upcoming film! If it's done right, it should be a good one!

Kujo

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It has great potential, doesn't it? Miles' life was melodramatic ... Look at how well "Ray" was done. How they'd do the music would be the most interesting aspect to me. It's probably a ways off .... couple of years.

Turtle

10. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't be surprised if Don Cheadle is actually taking trumpet lessons. Turtle, what is your screenplay's genre?