Military Band Auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. I'm still about a year away from being at the level where I want to be when I start taking auditions, but when the time comes there will be more questions. Thanks!!!

-Jimi

2. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    if you go to the marine band website, they list all the excerpts that they will hear for the audition. The repertoire is pretty standard wind ensemble/band stuff. First round is:

Etude No. 1 from Twenty Etudes (Vannetelbosch)
    Variations on “America†(Ives)
    Symphony in B-flat (Hindemith)
    An Outdoor Overture (Copland)
    “The Gallant Seventh†(Sousa)
    Capriccio italien, Opus 45 (Tchaikovsky/Winterbottom)

Second round is:
    Etude No. 3 from Twenty-Four Vocalises (Bordogni)
    “Danse napolitaine†from Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky)
    The Pines of Rome (Respighi/Duker)
    The Royal March from Histoire du soldat (Stravinsky)
    Festive Overture, Opus 96 (Shostakovich/Hunsberger)

Final Round is:
    Solo – Variations on a Theme from Norma by Bellini (Arban)

Sight reading may be required too... So I mean it's a pretty solid list. I have been practicing the list myself even though in all honestly i probably won't take the audition, but in my opinion the trickiest excerpts on there are the variations on america solo and the the royal marche from the histoire du soldat. Of course the audition commitee will be listening for things I probably haven't even heard yet though.

I know there are master classes and seminars devoted to standard orchestral excerpts, but would anyone like to give any insight into how these band excerpts should be played...?

3. Fliscornista

Fliscornista New Friend

May 4, 2006
    Army Band (DC) requires a tape/cd to be sent--however the army picks up the tab (airfare/lodging) for the invitees. You do have to go through a recruiter and take some preliminary tests. No service obligation is involved. Auditions are screened.

4. DonJuanTrompeta

DonJuanTrompeta New Friend

Apr 12, 2005
    hello jmichel,

That's good that you're interesting in military band. I had a stint playing trombone in the army band before I decided to go into education. What I have to say, even though I am not a trumpet player, is that it is a very rigorous progress. When I was in it, which was a very long time ago, I had to go through boot camp and etc. It's very demanding and I have had some friends come home with their tail between their legs from army military auditions. Nevertheless, I would think the stress would be close to what you would experience at an orchestral audition, of course I could be wrong since I have not had that experience. You have to have a real tough skin to survive it.
    http://www.army.com/MOS/mos_42r_trumpet_cornet.html
    That's a link that I found online. I hope I've been some help.

Paul

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The auditions are not always screened. When I bombed my audition for the US Naval academy band last July, it wasn't screened, although I wish it would have been - it would have been nice to have not had 20+ people staring at me from the pews of the church sanctuary where the audition was held as I choked and chocked notes all over.

The process can be a bit different for each band - usually you have to send in a recording, a photo and a resume of your experience for the first cursory screening. Then if you are invited, often times you will get a list of music to prepare and they can call any or all of it at any given point. Then there is the sight reading.

Just be prepared for stiff and plentiful competition.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Patrick-

One of my best friends just won the bass bone job in the academy band and talking to him about his experience there is the main reason I'm considering taking military band. Do you remember what the repertoire was for the audition? This would be REALLY helpful as that band is at the very top of my list. Thanks so much.

-Jimi

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yep - here it is - copied from when it was posted on the Academy Band website:

Prepared Solos:
    (Must be performed on B-flat trumpet)

Hummel - Concerto for Trumpet - Movement One to Measure 140/ Letter H
    Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - Movement Two
    Herbert L. Clarke - The Debutante

Excerpts for all rounds will be selected from the following list:

Richard Wagner- Lohengrin/ Claude T. Smith - Eternal Father - Opening
    Count Basie Orchestra - All of Me
    Claude T. Smith - Eternal Father Strong to Save
    Claude T. Smith - Festival Variations
    Kay and Gordon - That’s Life/ Gene Krupa - Sing, Sing, Sing
    Henry Fillmore - The Man of the Hour (march)
    Paul Hindemith - Symphony in B-flat opening of Movement One
    Paul Hindemith - Symphony in B-flat Movement Two
    Aaron Copland- An Outdoor Overture
    Eagle Squadron (march)
    Navy Bugle Call’s

It was a daunting list for me - on my best day, maybe I could have made it had they called my strong tunes. I never got Festival Variations down, nor did I really get a great handle on "The Debutante", but it didn't really matter because I crashed and burned so badly, it was over almost as quickly as it started and I never even got that far. I was 34 years old at the time and I hadn't choked so badly since before I got out of high school. (It was also the first audition I had taken in 13 years, not that it matters that much.) My thought was to get back into the military band program after a 5 year break from active duty military band, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, I would venture to guess that much of that will be on the list for the next opening, and if you can reasonably play that stuff, you have a good shot.

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Patrick,

This is a HUGE help. Thank you!

-Jimi

PS. If you plan on going to the next one, I'll by you a beer after the audition!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Jimi, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for it, and besides, I knew when I tossed my hat in the ring last July that it was a long shot at best. I'll tell you what though - if you come down for the next one, I'll buy YOU the beer afterward since I only live 20 minutes from Annapolis. :D