Military Band Auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    So, Big Bear has lost some weight and my chops are feeling great. Is there one website that has all the information for the various military band openings or must I go to each individual site and check them out? Thank you.

2. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Not that I think I'm up to snuff for this sort of stuff...but out of curiosity, just what is the level of competition for these groups? One would think most people would be clamoring for the symphony jobs, but for the opportunity to do what you love AND do it for your country...well...I can see that getting a lot of attention....

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Thxs Dylan,
    I'll keep my eyes on any openings.

4. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

I can't speak for the US forces bands, but I recently went for an audition for the Band of HM Royal Marines and while I was there they told us that more than 300 people auditioned for 40 available spaces this time.

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I did an audition for the Canadian Military. I've wanted this gig for so long and it sounds like I might have the job (just some paper work left). You are right, to do what you love and to do it for your country is a tremendous honour and I will hold onto that job as long as I can. (With plenty more on the side of course). :-)

Eric

6. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Bear
    I was a member of the United States Navy Band, and I can tell you just about anything you want to know about the audition, the job, and the competition to win a spot in a military band.
    In general, the competition for D.C. bands is much greater. The majority of the players that go for those spots are coming off of college degrees or years within a regular military band. For general fleet or field bands, depending on which service you are looking at, the level of difficulty in gettin in might look like this

1. Air Force
    2. Navy
    3. Army
    4. Marines

The Coast Guard band is very hard to get a spot in because A.) the band is really good, and B) there is only one Coast Guard band so places are limited.

The job of a musician in the military brings its own set of challenges and rewards. I would ask you several questions before you decide to persue this path.
    1. How old are you?
    2. Have you been to college for music ( not that you have to...it's just a question)
    3. What level of playing are you at realistically?
    4. What are your musical goals?
    5. How are you on rules and regulations?

These are all things to consider. While I had a great time in the Navy, got to see most of the world and play in front of thousands of people overseas. I WOULD trade that all in at this point in my life to have finished degrees sooner and enter the gigging and teaching world, which I am now a part of, sooner.
    I have many friends that are in the Navy Band at this moment, and the word I am getting from them is that the quality of musician has diminished GREATLY over the last five to seven years. Advancments in rank are coming slower and slower every year, and the amount of people phoning it in has increased dramatically. I can speak with great confidence about the fact that most fleet or regular field bands are not as advanced as jazz bands and wind ensembles at universities with strong programs. My college jazz band at the University of Louisville was much much much much stronger than any of the fleet navy jazz bands.

The military is a great option for any musician, but I urge you to FULLY investigate every aspect of life as a military musician BEFORE singing anything... and remember ... in reality, they need you more than you need them...
    Best wishes and if you have any other questions please ask....
    Matt

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Thank you Matt,
    I will definitly keep all that in mind. My father was in the US Army for over 21 years so I know a lot of the recruiting tricks. I know not to sign off the bat. Thanks for your help.

Tim