Military Bands

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Annie, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    What's everyones view on military bands? I'm really considering joining one after I graduate - I'm not sure I really want to go into teaching.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    One of the greatest things about military bands is consistant income for playing... however, you have to find a military band that has an opening for the instrument you play... the Navy band has a couple of trumpet openings currently... I don't think anyone else does right now. I, unfortunately, joined the Navy as an Electronics Technician and I am too far along in my military career to change over to Musician... There are some great players out there that got their start in military bands.... you should go over to Tom Hooten's thread and shoot him a message...

3. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    There's openings in the Navy Band? They're not on the website yet...

Thanks!

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    1st of all be aware that in most cases you don't just "join one" You audition. And while the competiion might not be as tough as if you were going for an orchestra position you will be competing against some of the best players in the country who don't have a job yet.

5. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Maybe you should message Kevin from the Airmen of Note and ask him. There's a thread with some video on it, awesome group!

6. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I am aware there is an audition - I am also aware that a lot of good guys will be auditioning. I'm also pretty sure that I'll be able to at least get into one of the many army bands - I'm a pretty good trumpeter. My dad was a Sea Chanter in the Navy - I pretty much know the routine of what goes on (at least in the Navy Sea Chanters)

Bergeron - thanks, I'll go ahead and do that!

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Annie,
    I served in Stuttgart at a headquarters band in south Germany. We had about 180 gigs a year, about 1/3 was military functions and 2/3 public relations. There was a certain amount of military formalism, but it never got in the way of making great music. The german beer was more of a problem for some of the musicians............
    I can recommend this to anybody with a moderate amount of organisation and large amount of personal pride!

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Glad to hear you served Rowuk... it only increases my respect for you!

Mike

10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Thanks Mike! I couldn't find any links for any of the other Navy bands!!!

Rowuk - thanks! I think I am going to definitely audition, and hopefully make, one of the military bands - I love teaching, but some of the current education politics worry me...and it worries me even more that I might not have the time to play - or even get a chance to play with good musicians.

By the way....anyone know any good weight loss programs?