Military Bands

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    et_mike mentioned in another thread I started that you started in a military band? What's your perspective?

2. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
  3. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Okay, I did think of a specific question - I was actually taking a look at the list of things not to bring, and the list of things to bring...and I just had one question. Will they get mad if you try to bring a mouthpiece to basic training?

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    They won't necessarily get mad... but they made me ship mine home...

5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    OMG - you're kidding me - they made you ship it home?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I visited the chaplain (sang in church choir - they needed tenors!)and he managed to get everything taken care of. I had my mouthpiece the whole time (and opportunities to use it)

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yeah, they made me ship it home. The problem is, even though you are a musician, you still have to go through boot camp like any other sailor/soldier/airman. You will not get a drill instructor that is a musician and as far as they are concerned a mouthpiece is just Unathorized paraphernalia. It worked out for me though, I was the bugler for graduation ceremonies and was given the opportunity to parctice through out boot camp. Keep in mind this is only my experience. What Rowuk says has much merit. Chaplins can be your best friends in the military and one conversation with them can get your privlages you can only imagine!

8. trumpetchuck12

trumpetchuck12 New Friend

Mar 11, 2007
    Most of the Army bands are stressing small ensembles...so if you are multi-talented, then you should get alot of opprotunities to perform. Like what Mike stated, in the military (at least Army side), you are soldier first - and specialty 2nd. I would say its good to get into a reserve/NG band if your right out of high school to get educational and music experience/networking and see if you like the military side of things. You'll have to pass a standard audition, but Army side are starting pay grade of E4 (at enlistment), enlistment bonus, student loan repayment, Gi Bill, Gi Bill Kicker on top of tuition assistance...so there is alot of money and experience that a newbe can get.

If you want to go Active right off, you'll get more benefits, but it'll be a while before you ever use them cause active bands go on tour (on the road).

Retirement is a biggy too. Nothing until you reach 20 years service. For Res/NG, benefits kick in at age 60. For Active after 20 years active, benefits kick in right away after you retire.

Let me know if you have any more questions...if you do decide to join, please reference me so I can get the recruitment bonus.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  9. model65bachstrad

model65bachstrad New Friend

Apr 4, 2007
    wow, I had brought an old trumpet to Basic at Ft. Jackson(Alpha 260th 3rd platoon). I practiced and played trumpet on sundays at church. Our chaplin told us to use whatever talents we had, so I did. I played piano and trumpet in service.