Military Buglers, I need Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Dec 1, 2008.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    A friend of mine asked me to play taps at his fathers funeral. It is military honors although he said they can't provide a live bugler, only a recording. I told him I would be honored, so my question is this: Can I or should I wear my dress blues (Navy)? I have been out for two years now after a tour in Iraq and I'm not sure of what the ucmj says about wearing uniforms after you get out. I want to do the right thing and honor my friend and his dad. Thanks for any info.

2. gord4862

gord4862 New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Shooter,
    Wear your dress blues. The impression you will make will be unbelievable!
    Gord4862
    Former Marine bugler

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My best friend is a retired full bird, USAF, he ALWAYS wears his dress uniform when he plays Taps, ALWAYS!

-cw-

4. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    As a current Military Bugler I say wear them. There is nothing at all with a veteran showing his pride in his service, and thanking others who have served. Not only is it ok, it is also right.
    JR

5. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Hey, thank you guys. I was hoping to be ok wearing them. Like I said, it will be a huge honor for me to be able to do this.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are very proud of you. Funerals are some of the toughest gigs to play! Thank you for your commitment!

7. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    This is moving off the initial topic. I have no advice on uniforms as I never served.

However, I understand that there is now a shortage of people available to play Taps live for military funerals. I never served, but greatly appreciate those that have. Is anyone on this forum fmiliar with a contact where one might volunteer thier services to play? Would they accept a civilian player? If I were a family member I'd rather hear someone play on a live bugle, trumpet or cornet, rather than a recording at the ceremony.

There is a large Veterans Cemetary in Burlington, NJ near me, and many of the last of the WWII, a growing number of the Koriean War and later service members are passing on. I would like to know how I could honor them and their families. I drive by it frequently and notice it is having a high level f activity in the past several years.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yes,

It is very fitting and honorable to have Taps played by a civilian.

Offer your services to the Veteran's Cemetary.

I have played hundreds of funerals in a black suit.

-cw-

9. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Jim;

As Chuck said, offer your services to the Veteran's Cemetary.

I would also suggest that you make sure that some of the local mortuaries know that you are available. I know that some of the mortuaries in our town keep a list of people available to play taps.

Another possibility is to contact your local VFW, or other veteran's organizations.

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Definately contact the cemetary, VFW and funeral homes. Most of the large national cemetaries have groups of VFW volunteers that spend all day doing funeral details. Another group to look into is Buglers Across America - I don't know a lot about them other than that they volunteer for funerals, but they may be able to help you. As a Navy Musician, I know we have to turn down lots of funeral requests because of prior commitments or from being temporarily undermanned, so I'm sure the families would appreciate your services. Good Luck!

Bugles Across America : Home