Military Music Forum

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by chops1, Apr 5, 2004.

1. chops1

chops1 New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    I would like to see a new forum added related to military music.
    I am an Army Bandsmen trumpet player and am interested in creating a new forum related to the subject of military music, musicians, and trumpet players. I know there are some already that post on this site that are serving or have served in a military band. This forum would be a place for everyone to meet and post topics related to the subject. I am very interested in getting feedback form the general masses on many topics. Let me know what you think.

Sgt. Jason Bemis

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Not arguing with you, Sgt. Just wondering why you feel it necessary to have a "dedicated" forum? Each forum absorbs extra bandwidth apparently (we had a purge of "little used" forums a while back). Why not just go ahead and post in one of the regular forums? I'll agree that it's nice to "slice and dice" and have little pigeonholes for everything... but then things usually end up with a lot of "cross pollination"...it gets hard to know where to post what.

Knowing how widely versed in all forms of music most military bandsmen are (and regardless of their nationality) seems to me that you folks would have a lot to offer to us amateurs, students, midnight skulkers, etc. Community Bands tend to take a LOT of their repertoire from martial music.

You are correct, there are quite a few military musicians in this website: unfortunately several of them are.... shall we say.... "playing in a big sandbox for an extended gig" right now and don't have the regular internet access that we (and their families) would like.

Having said that, I'd like to welcome you to the site. Nobody bites, everyone likes a clean latrine, and you're just in time to check out the "Eclipse contest" thread in the Eclipse forum and find out what surprises are in store in a few months' time!

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I think Toots is right on this one Chops. We Army trumpet players tend to just make contributions when and where we can on this forum. Where are you stationed Chops? If you are in Germany let me know and maybe we'll see each other around.

Is there another contest coming up so soon Toots? I've been so busy with work and running my "new" Olds thru the ringer I think I'm losing track of time. Can't wait to get my 1949 Olds next week and test drive it too. Take care all!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hiya, Mike. No, as far as I know (at least Leigh told me this last week!) the contest will still be held "same time, same place" as last year. That is to say that it will "terminate" on his birthdate once more.

So you're the guy stealing all those cheap Ambassadors, eh? I suggested to Leigh that he set up a satellite plant to do Olds conversions so as not to slow down his production of Eclipses (Bb, C AND flugel). He promised me he'd take it easy on his next development so I'm letting Radka know that he has volunteered to help with diapers for the next year or so.

If the young'un is as "full of it" as he can be at times, he'll be a busy lad. Only wish that he could experience twins! (they "set each other off" yano!) And they both want to be changed AT ONCE!

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Toots,

Radka and my wife, Yvonne, are due within a month of each other. Hopefully my little girl will be able to play trumpet an early age so I have an excuse to buy more Eclipses. She already gets a regular dose of trumpet music every day either by me or the CD player.

As for the Ambassadors, yes that is me. I really like the one I received yesterday. It was made in 1969. It plays really well in the upper register and doesn't look too bad either. I will still probably send it to Leigh though...... :wink: I better get back to the wood shed.