Military trumpet audition process and repertoire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kevin Stone, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Kevin Stone

Kevin Stone New Friend

Jul 19, 2008
    Hello Folks,

I'm in the process of researching the trumpet audition process as it appllies to the five branches of the military top wind bands .

I'm looking to find audition list for each. I've found the Navy and Marines as they have current vacancies. Any info concerning the other three would be of great help.

I'm looking to compare the list and speak to the commonalitites/differences in the audition music and audition process.

Thanks,
    Kevin Stone

2. jimjohnjoe

jimjohnjoe New Friend

Jun 12, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Kevin, I am retired from the Marine Corps, having served 22 years as a musician/Bandleader. I traveled around the U.S. auditioning musicians. I taught at the Armed Forces School of Music in Little Creek, VA, as well. If you are solid on your scales and solid on sight reading, especially sight reading, you will be okay. Did I mention sight reading? Any old solo showing off your beautiful tone would be great. Remember, any mechanic can play a bunch of notes real fast. A little bit of triple tonguing and a lot of great tone. Good luck and
    Semper Fi!
    Jimjohnjoe

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome Kevin, and welcome jimjohnjoe! The one time I auditioned they said they were looking for a good "lead player" and had no other info. They tend to find their own, I believe, so do your best--if it is meant to be it will, and if not, you'll still be able to make lots of music!

Lots!

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi Kevin,

Talk about a coincidence, I was on Youtube today browsing all kinds of trumpet videos and I came across a series of them pertaining to auditioning for an Armed Services band. I believe it was Air Force, not sure, but they were talking about what the bands look for and how to go about auditioning. These videos were quite professionally produced. A recruiting tool I suppose. I tried to look it up again just now to post the link and Youtube was down!!

Anyway, I suggest going to Youtube and searching for military band audition.

Be forewarned, the musicians in these videos were pretty good!

Steve

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I auditioned, they were using the Watkins/Farnum books for sight reading.

The military places such a big deal on sight reading because they don't always have enough time to prepare. You know because of the "Hurry Up and Wait" Syndrome.

I really enjoyed the 3 years that I was stationed in Stuttgart!