military

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Nov 27, 2014.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    John Hagstrom and Tage Larsen of the Chicago Symphony were both in the President's Own Marine Band.
    Hagstrom was principal trumpet and frequent soloist. Larsen was principal cornet and soloist.
    Those two gentlemen did pretty well after their military band days, no?
    Rich T.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The military band program, particularly with the Army, has changed A LOT since I was a part of it during a 10 year span of time between 1989 and 1999. When I got in, a good high school player could pass the screening (usually administered by an Army Bandmaster from a nearby base, or in my case, the leader of the US Army Jazz Ambassadors when they were on a tour and played a concert in North Platte, Nebraska) go to basic training, get through the Armed Forces School of music in Norfolk/Littlecreek, Virginia, and make their way into one of the several dozen base bands around the globe.

These days? I'd never get in. Not with how I played then, and not with how I play now. Well, maybe with how I play, but the screening process is different.

The last time I talked to a guy who was dealing with Army Band recruiting, (National Trumpet Competition a couple of years ago) he basically told me that unless you are just slaying things, a college degree in music, particularly a performance degree, is almost a prerequisite, and there are a lot of graduate level players coming in to the Army band program. As others have said, there are a lot more pro-level players vs. a lot fewer full-time, solid playing musician gigs to go around, not to mention that the US Army Band program is probably less than half of what it was when I was in.

All of that said, it's nice work if you can get it. I got to do and see things in my 10 years as an active duty military musician that I would have never gotten to do as Joe Civilian. Case in point, this job I was on for Colin Powell's retirement ceremony for when he retired from the Army. On the reviewing stand are:

Colin Powell and his wife Alma
    Sitting President Bill Clinton and Hilary Clinton
    Former President George Bush and Barbara Bush
    Vice President Al Gore and Tipper Gore
    Secretary of Defense Les Aspin
    The combined Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US Military

[​IMG]

Or how about this one where we are hanging loose with Harrison Ford in Las Vegas. (I've met a ton of celebs - this is just one of the few photos I have commemorating it) That's me on the far left.

[​IMG]

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Ah, but which one is you? I can't seem to pick out the one that looks the most like a Patrick Gleason would look...
    Very cool. Thanks for the honesty as well.........a lot of people would not mention some of the things you did here, you know?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In the pic of Powell's ceremony, if you look at the lectern, the left edge of it comes down to my hat. In the pic with Harrison Ford, I'm on the far left as you look at it.

For the record, I do not look like Maximus Decimus Meridius. :D

To add one little bit that I never really got to in my ramble of a post above, to succinctly answer the question about the ability level of Military trumpet players, in the United States military, the trumpet players are really good. There once was a time where there was a marked difference in the ability level of the players in the premier bands and the ability level of the folks in the base bands. These days, there is almost no difference. The players are all pretty rock solid, and the difference between who is playing where is as much about who had a really good day on audition day.

5. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    You still haven't told us the purpose of the question. Are you interested in entering the military?

Pete

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Which military? Last I heard the Rebels had a better army band than the Galactic Empire...

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Could it be that the OP was simply curious to know?

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Add Tom Hooten to that list. Malcom McNab and Mel Broils were in the West Point Band, Bobby Shew was in the NORAD Band. I was in the 6th Army band and we determined that the educational level of the band exceeded that of the officer corp on post. Some of my buddies went on to become university professors, play in major orchestras, work in the LA studios, play in the bands of Stan Kenton, Louie Bellson, and Count Basie, etc. We had a shooting war and the draft to make it competitive, now we have the economy.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I take the liberty of bolding "economy" to give notice that such has caused a cutback in many of the military bands as should make assignments even more competitive for those that remain.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Post #3