military

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    Harry James always defines the finer skills of Army Band playing.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Can a question simply be a question without any explanation? How many other posts on TM are simply taken at face value?
    On the other hand, it definitely is not a random question, is it?

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Patrick,

More times than not you bust my nuts when I post something. Is there a point to it? I respectfully responded to the post of the OP. Can you answer his question? I'm a former Air Force musician. Should I just tell him how great we all are?

Pete

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Pete, honestly I didn't consider it that much, it was just a thought that I put out there and I didn't think I was busting anyone's nuts about it. As a side note, has the original poster been back to the thread they created? Before we start taking jabs at each other, let's see if the OP can come back with some clarity as to the intent behind their question. Maybe they were just curious about it.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I don't want to pile on, but I sure wouldn't call that a busting of nuts type inquiry. To be honest, I have not examined an in depth compilation of each and every post by Trickg in response to you, so you have that, at least.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Not many lead players on our planet better than Brian MacDonald in the Airman of Note...

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You know, all these suggestions and comments about first-tier players in the military special bands don't really answer the OP's question. While there are superb musicians in the "field bands", these DC band players are not representative of the average military band trumpet player. Close, but no cigar. ;-)

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Like asking, "how good are college players?" True. Could be a huge range of levels here.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Why do you ask?

--bumblebee

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I grew up in Ireland and our community brass and reed band was always conducted/directed by an Irish military band musician during the time I was there (there were two of them). Both were fantastic players themselves (one trumpeter, one percussionist) and on occasion they'd do an exhibition piece during our shows which was always awe-inspiring.

Our lead clarinet player started out in the band as a child and when he left school he qualified to join the military band himself, having also attended music school alongside his regular schooling. He was excellent, and other good players I knew didn't get in to the military band, so I reckon the standard expected of players there was pretty high.

--bumblebee