Milk?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Edvard22, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Edvard22

Edvard22 New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    I have recently been told that drinking a glass of milk before a performance can really help. He said it was supposed to loosen your lips or something. Just figured i'd share and was wondering if anyone else has heard this before.

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Usually, beer loosens my lips up nicely. Oh wait, we're talking about something else, huh?

Never mind.

Mark

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Did you try Bordeaux wine ?

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Hopefully you also rinse your mouth out afterwards, because I wouldn't want to see/smell the stuff that grows in your horn after you blow milk in to it for a few months.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    ... aspecially if you use to do the vibrato by shaking the trumpet !

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Trumpet milk shake? yummie ROFL

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The smell of sour milk when I opened my case would be enough to gag me. Once worked dipping ice cream. Entered home after work through basement where I stripped, showered and put on my robe and put my "stinkies" in the washing machine and started it. Those were days that I was dating and I'm sure women wouldn't have enjoyed the evening were I not to have bathed and dressed in clean clothes. I seldom eat ice cream to this day.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I too worked scooping/dipping ice cream and I concur that old/sour dairy can really be a bad thing.

I'm a big fan of keeping hydrated before and during (when possible) playing the trumpet, so that may be the point of the milk advice.

10. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Not to go off on a complete tangent, but you know the adult body is really incapable of processing milk effectively, right?

Milk totally gunks up your mucus linings so immediately your mouth and saliva are all jacked.

I would think milk would be the worst thing you could drink. A beer or glass of wine work best to me. Unless you're under 21, you'll have to settle for water :)