Million Dolllar Baby knocks out the Aviator!!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by The King of Swing, Mar 1, 2005.

1. The King of Swing

The King of Swing New Friend

Feb 24, 2005
    Wild Wild West
    I'm glad Clint Won an Oscar for the Picture and Directing, he deserved it!!

Morgan got one for Best Supporting Actor, and Swank picked up the Best Actress... :D

2. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    This was a great year for the Oscars with so many good films and performances in the running. I loved both The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby and would have been equally happy with either film winning. The only awards I would have liked to see go to others were Leonardo instead of Foxx for Best actor and Natalie Portman instead of Blanchette for supporting actress. I get tired of impersonation-type performances winning out over actual acting talent perfomances. Acting and impersonating are two very different skills IMHO.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I have a complaint about the Oscars: I wish they'd roll credits for the orchestra! Every year there is this single, 5 second "flash" of the music director waving from down in a black hole with the vague outlines of musicians sitting around and .... that's it!

It would be really nice if the film industry paid half as many compliments to their musicians as they do to the writers, editors, arrangers, fixers, agents, lawyers, electricians, camera repairpersons, caterers, dressmakers, chauffeurs, etc.!

Those guys and girls in the pit have to be at the very TOP of their game to handle the mess of music, playing theme song clips without any prior warning as to which film will win, etc. and have to be prepared for EACH AND EVERY NOMINEE! They only get ONE chance at it. The film industry goes on and on about how the music can make or break the film, set the mood, etc. but then says NOT A DA*N WORD ABOUT WHO IS DOING THE WORK!

So... here's to you folks "down stairs". Thanks for a great performance (as usual).

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Maybe the problem is that if they mention the musician's names in the credits, they would have to pay them more............

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I can see that if it's for the movie itself... but I'm talking about credits for the Oscar Orchestra performance. (at least it's a start!)

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Ed - I HATE that!!!!

I sat through the Lord of the Rings credits because I wanted to see if they credited the players - they had the name of every single guy who lifted a paintbrush or taped a bit of scenery together, but did they list the musicians? No!

Why the hell don't they ever do it?

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Malcolm McNabb got a credit (finally) for his gorgeous solo in "Dances With Wolves." Is that the first time that had happened?

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    As far as I know, only the orchestra playing Spike Lee movies get screen credits.
    Wilmer

9. vic

vic New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    Arkansas
    Ocean's 12

I waited for the credits for “Ocean's 12†and was pleasantly surprised to see not only names but instruments listed! That is in addition to the standard list of song credits where you see composers and performing group. I did not recognize the names, though.
    The soundtrack for “Ocean’s 12†reminded me a little of the one for “Get Shortyâ€. It had a lot of small combo stuff in it.