Mind your own business

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Mar 15, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a trumpet student that's in High School.
    He got braces off about 2 months ago.

His father has a part time job going around to band directors repping for a local music store.

Just before my student got his braces off one of the band directors (a trumpet player) told the father that a Bach 7C might not be the right mouthpiece for the kid. If he was getting to be a better trumpet player maybe a bigger size would be better. The student of course wanted to go to a 5C. I told him to go with what felt right and worked but, I don't recommend a change at this time.

He started on the 5C just as his braces came off. Now I've been working with him for 2 months or so and this band director sold dad his old Strad and recommended a 3C.

Now I'm working with a new trumpet, new mouthpiece, and no braces. What else can we throw in the mix?

The trumpet is a nice trumpet but, not needed.

Why can't this band director keep his big mouth shut? He never talked to the kid never mind hearing him play!

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Because he wanted to make some cash off the dad...

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    So the dad didn't think to consult with you his kids teacher. "a fool and his money, etc." a she adjusted to playing without the braces

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Repping for a music store, you'd think dad would have some clue about listening to his kid's teacher.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After braces the geometry of the face is different anyway.

A 3C is not that much different from a 7C and is not as deep as a 5C. It should be no problem.

When I take on a student, I clear this up from the beginning. I will be asked about EVERYTHING. Instruments and mouthpieces are bought with me and the student. The audition procedure is done with me.

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yea, the dude at the store wanted to make a sale. As a sales person I know everybody is a prospect. He is going to ask, the real problem is the dad. He needs to better espect your role as instructor.

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Dealing with all this change at once, may be better, in the long run, than changing at different stages. One thing I remember from when my braces were removed, I played a whole lot more. I made more progress in the 6 months after braces than I had prior to that (like 3 years).