Mini Disc Player/Recorders: Looking for advice

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by orchtrpt, Mar 29, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    My Sony Mini Disc from 1999 is now making strange noises when I record stuff and the rechargeable battery has died so I have to use double As all the time. I am getting tired of it.

What is a good mini disc player out there these days. The cheaper the better as long as it records well.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You want to record live with microphone? The "only" one I would consider is a Sharp unit. Their motor noise is so low that you can direct couple the mic right onto the unit without picking up noise.

Do a search through here for "minidisc" and you should find some stuff on them.

3. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Thanks for the advice how about this one

[​IMG]

MD-MT180

New slim design with 40 second shock resistant memory, continues the trend for Sharp's MiniDiscs. Always simple to use; you can record up to 30 hours or playback up to 38 hours when using the dual compatible batteries.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Almost identical (electronically) to my MD 99CS. Grab it. Buy a Sony DS70P mic for it. Don't forget the recharger. If they have it, get the optical cord for it too...you can use that to USB from your computer down "into" the MD. Get a male/male patch cord to upload into the computer. You just got yourself a recording studio that fits in a shirt pocket.

(Do confirm that it has a mic "IN" jack though)

5. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    ok so I went to circuit city and best buy. The Mini disc selection sucked and none of them had any Mic In jacks. What is the deal? Back in the day mini discs all had mic in jacks. Seems like these things have lost their popularity. I didn't see any SHARP models. Where is a good place to look for these online?

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    http://www.Minidisco.com has 'em... all shapes and sizes. Just check the "specs" out on'em. Not sure where you could "try before you buy"... I got lucky and picked mine up at a "clearing the Sharp line out in favor of Sony" sale. You may have to go for "reviews" as posted on the site (personally, I'm a little leary of those reviews... why should a vendor say ANYTHING negative about products he is selling?).