Minimum Practice Time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    What would you guys and gals say is the minimum amount of practice time needed to continue improving. I'm talking about 1 -2 hours or more or even less? I'm sure the less you practice the more focused your time will have to be, but just wondered your thoughts.

Trax

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    It is difficult to generalize. It depends on your level of playing and as you wrote yourself on how efficient your practice is. There was some big discussion on daily routines, way to practice and "face" time. I consider that myself I need at least an hour/day to cover all the basics and maintain what I've got.

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    I'm learning more and more that it depends on what you practice rather than how long you practice for.

At the moment I do 20-30mins of Caruso calisthenics first thing in the morning, before work (this is working for me, and I'm very excited about it, but I can't say it would work for anyone else). When I get home from work, I usually do the 6 notes again to warm up/re-focus, then hit Colins' and Clarke's. That can easily fill an hour. I'm also transcribing a fair number of charts at the moment to use with a soul band, so if I have time I spend another hour (sometimes 2 if I get carried away) doing that - it depends on who's cooking that evening :-)

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Practice time is very different for everybody. The only true measure of how much practice time you need is that you continue to improve at a rate you are happy with and you stay focused during your practice time and can play the music you want to play or at least see that you are getting nearer to playing that music. The goal is to be able to play the kind of music you want to play or need to play. Some people are perfectly happy with the playing they can do on practicing once or twice a week for a half-hour, while others aren't happy with the playing they can do on 3 hours daily.

5. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    I agree with these points...and would like to add that my practice time varies significantly depending on the material I'm working up, how my chops are holding up, the horn I'm working with, etc.

While at University, I was required to log at least 7 practice hours a week. There were weeks were this wasn't nearly enough time to get everything worked out to my satisfaction--while on other weeks, it was quite the opposite.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    When I was in high school and college practice time was abundant but I did it as an afterthought. Now that I'm oler/wiser practice time is scarce but I fit it in whenever possible. 20 munites every morning when I wake up, 30 minutes at lunch, and whetever I can squeeze in at night after the kids go to bed...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    if ones playing is crap, 10 minutes a day can bring improvements.

If you are pretty good, 2 hours per day.

Once you are real good, the question does not come up. You play as long as it feels good.

8. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Ursa brought up a thought I have had before also. Those of you who studied trumpet in college, how many hours did you have to practice? I assume that those hours increased while your degree increased i.e. Bachelors - 7 hrs a week, Masters - 10hrs a week, Doctorate - 15hrs a week?

Trax

Thanks for the comments.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bachelors and masters + 4 hours per day not including rehearsals. There was no other way to get through the material.

10. Sanderson Man

Sanderson Man Pianissimo User

May 16, 2009
    being in high school I practice as often as I can. This means that during the week it might be as little as 20 minutes but on a Saturday it could be up to 3 hours. My practice isn't very structured either, I practice what I need to practice, when i can find the time. I know these are really bad habits, but my playing is going to change when I get braces off in a few months so I expect to practice my face off reforming my embouchure then. Then maybe I can work on better practice habits. I also practice with marching band tues wed & thurs for two hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.