Minimum Practice Time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veeboi

Veeboi New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    Australia
    If you are into the trumpet, an hour should fly by. If you're experienced then you should aim for at least half an hour. If you are new, you should try and get in a good hour or two.

2. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    I'm currently a college student and my profs are all telling me 8 hrs a day, MINIMUM. So I've been doing that and I gotta tell you, it works wonders. My buddy goes to the pool at 5 am and practices in a closet (practice room) from 6:30 am - 9:45 am and goes to class at 10 am. He's a BEAST on the Tenor Sax, I'm going to start doing that myself so I can make a Navy Audition :D

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    My experience has been "it just depends". You can't expect a 6 year old to practice 3 hours.
    I practice around 2 hours a day (unless its a gig day) but I bust up the practice so I play a little all day long. Also, I look at the QUALITY of the practice verses the QUANTITY of practice. I'd rather have 1/2 hour of good focused practice than 3 hours of mindless blowing just to meet a time goal.
    Here's what I do:
    I always leave my trumpet on it's stand and only put it away when I'm going on a gig.
    My philosophy on the trumpet, (Disclaimer: philosophies are like rear ends, everyone has one and it usually stinks) Out of site, out of mind.
    By leaving the trumpet on the stand, I can pick it up and work on it as I go through the day. Also, this works well since human attention span or ability to focus isn't as long as most people would think. Finally, its just hard to cut out a 2 or 3 hour block of time and ignore the other things that need to be done during that time frame.
    The minimum? I'll go with 1/2 hour every day. If its really focused and uninterupted, it should keep your lip in "general" shape. Its the minimum amount of time I ask elementary and middle school kids to practice.

4. trumpetman1989

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    When I was 10 I would practice for HOURS on end until my lips started to turn blue, purple, or were bleeding. A 6 year old CAN practice 3 hours, he just needs some encouragement and a good teacher.

I understand that you might be busy but I would hope that if you're able to practice more than 2 hours a day that you would. Also, don't choose QUALITY over QUANTITY or vice versa. You need to have QUALITY QUANTITY. This is something that isn't taught very much anymore, but it's the only way you'll get better. 2 hours isn't even enough for a pro! And what do you mean by mindless blowing? I can make my 8 hours a day nice and meaningful. I'm sorry, but to me that's musically immature to be mindlessly blowing.

Philosophies are not always like rear ends. There's some good ones and there's some bad ones, only one works for each individual. The human attention span is totally fine for 2 or 3 hours, you just have NO discipline, and if you're teaching others to not have any discipline, then they will NOT make auditions. Finally, it's just NOT hard to cut out 2 or 3 hours and ignore other things. ESPECIALLY if the kid's in school! I would HATE to see your practice habits in college. I've been told that I have ADHD w/ Tourettes, and I practice 8 hours a day, usually STRAIGHT.

It depends on what kind of school this player goes to, Markie Mark and the Funky Bunch.... Elementary kids should be practicing anywhere from 30 minutes - 1 hour each day, I'll give you that one. But Middle school? Come on!! Middle school should be 2 hours a day minimum. Your measely 30 minutes could be taken up by scales and arpeggios during warmups. When I'm teaching High School, that's a different story because they will most likely have a job, so High school should be AT LEAST 3 hours a day ideally, but just practicing whenever you can in high school is good too since they might have a job.

Where did you go to college at? Because I haven't even gotten out of COMMUNITY college and I've always been told to practice a minimum of 8 hours a day. That's a BARE minimum. I'm sorry, but I expect more out of a teacher than this.

5. trumpetman1989

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    My apologies trax for posting before checking out your age. But if you're needing to get back in to the swing of things, 3 hours a day to start. Outside of rehearsals. If your lips get sore, just wait a while before going back if you haven't done all 3 hours. It WILL pay off, trust me :)

6. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    I manage just 15 minutes on each of my trumpets totalling 45 minutes, but this is daily like brushing your teeth !
    I need to find time for more practice
    Regards
    Dabhand

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    :thumbsup:

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I couldn't have done that in college merely because of the course load. I had 18 credits for my entire first two years (as a recording major, not performance). Even if you subtracted my studio time and replaced it with playing time, I wouldn't have had time for both course study and sleep. Still, I practiced far too little so I encourage you to keep shooting for 8 hours-- but please tell me how you invented the 28-hour day!

9. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    :shock:

Now 8 hours is the bare minimum?

7-8 hours sleep
    2-3 hours for meals and misc. breaks
    2 hours for coursework (and THAT is "bare minimum")
    3 hours for class
    1 hour for private lesson
    1-2 for ensemble

We're already down to 5-8 hours... and we haven't gone to the library to research the papers, done our laundry, cleaned the dorm room/apartment... haha, just kidding about that last one!

Maybe we'll make it up on the weekend.

10. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    I play as long as it feels good
    I also have Guitar and keyboards to keep up with
    Forty years of high level Gigging must have given me the skills and endurance by now, I hope
    It is the Quality of Practice !

Regards
    Dabhand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.