Minimum Practice Time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Trumpetman1989 says:
    "I've been told that I have ADHD w/ Tourettes, and I practice 8 hours a day, usually STRAIGHT".
    ------------------------
    "nuff said.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. MDE1962

MDE1962 New Friend

Sep 4, 2009
    Kansas
    Hello, Can someone help? Why is my tone getting worse even though I practice everyday? I was doing fine with range as well as tone. Been using the same horn as well as the same mouthpiece for months now. All of a sudden i can't hit anyhting over a High C and it just sounds terrible. Even playing in the "normal" range everything sounds terrible. What can cause this?

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Someone can help, but unfortunately not someone over the internet in a forum. If you're practicing everyday and not getting better, you need a face-to-face with a good trumpet teacher. There are so many possible reasons that you're not getting better and only someone who can stand right there and listen and assess your posture, your embouchure, your breathing can possibly help you. The next best thing would be a trumpet lesson via Skype over the internet if there are no teachers nearby.

The material you're practicing, your practice routine, heck, even whether your trumpet and mouthpiece are clean or dirty can produce the results you're describing. I once had a student who came for a lesson and he sounded horrible, after sounding very good for a long time. He looked very bewildered and said he couldn't figure it out because he'd been practicing regularly -- he was practically in tears. I took his mouthpiece out of the trumpet and looked through it and could see only a pin-hole of light through all the crud that was built up in there. 1 minute later, after using a brush in the sink and cleaning out the mouthpiece and he was playing better than ever.

So make sure your equipment is clean (both mouthpiece and trumpet) and go find yourself a local teacher.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Yep, it sounds like you've hit a brick wall.
    Try this:
    1)Don't touch the horn for a week.
    2)When you start back, practice "softly" but work towards a good full spectrum sound.
    Most trumpet players blow way too loud and use far too much energy to get the job done.
    3)When you feel stress and your sound starts to shake or you feel tension and pressure on your embrochure, think where the stress is coming from and work to emiminate it.
    I'm a big advocate of learning from watching.
    Watch Alison Balsom or Tine Thing on Youtube and notice what their faces look like even though they are playing challenging stuff. You want that kind of calm on your face.

5. MDE1962

MDE1962 New Friend

Sep 4, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks Markie , It will be hard not to touch the horn for a week, but i did notice once i didn't practice for 2 days due to some things i had going on at home and church and when I picked up the horn to practice again that was the first time I was able to hit a double Hi C. I will also watch the Youtube things that you suggested.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think you are out of your mind with your hours of practice. You obviously don't practice what you preach.

8 hours of trumpet practice per day is no recipe for success, it is a recipe to generally waste your face. You may have been told that by somebody who was pulling your leg, and you never even noticed. Considering some of your other posts about what you can and can't, I would recommend posting a bit less and researching a bit more.

The thread is minimum practice time. A rather naive question. One or 2 hours per day is great for the average joe. Plenty of time to maintain and add a bit of technique. As a trumpet major at a name brand music school, I practiced about 3-4 hrs per day and had another 2 hours of rehearsals. I needed the rest of my awake time for piano/guitar, and the other projects required to pass courses. Of course there were days when I could have played 8 hours, but why? After 3-4 hours of trumpet your brain is mush. An hours break is not enough. Your chops don't get stronger either beyond that.

So Mr. Trumpetman1989, when you have made it into the professional world, you can talk about how you got there. Until then, try to keep the conjecture tamed.

7. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Since I started college, I've had to cut my practise time to 30 minutes 4-5 times a week.

Although I have less playing time, I've learned to practise smart and honestly its working great (other than my endurance but I'm working on that now :-)).

So even an hour would be excellent so long as you focus and practise specific areas instead of wailing all over the place.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hey Shakin Dan,
    You're workin' smarter, not harder!!
    That's a serious sign of advanced intelligence. Keep up the great work.

9. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well I would have to disagree. One should practice every singe day even if its just 15 minutes. That 15 minutes adds up.

Also the quality vs quanity ratio is getting mushy.
    You should practice every day. Even if you are practice quality material your not maxing out the ability to improve if you only practice 4-5 times a week.
    Also setting goals may sound stupid but it does work. It still sound stupid to me but I do it because I hace first hand proff that it works. Just try things you also get learn things about yourself from practicing alone for long hours.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hichez says:
    Well I would have to disagree. One should practice every singe day even if its just 15 minutes. That 15 minutes adds up. Also the quality vs quanity ratio is getting mushy.
    -----------------
    What you've stated is what works for you given the time frame you have to work with. As for Shankin' Dan, his method is what works for him. To Shankin' Dan I say bravo for his efficiency.
    I'm guessing that your use of the term mushy means that the two terms, (quality & quantity) kinda blend and sorta say the same thing.
    As for quality and quantity being mushy?
    Its about as mushy as the terms effective and efficient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.