Minimum Practice Time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    My dear Rowuk Shankin Dan Markie and rest
    You all are obviously there and giving the best advice !
    Practice softly and go right through the range from low to high register as far as you can go
    Quality of sound and consistent blowing daily as much time as you can afford
    Scales Major Minor Diminished Pentatonic Blues etc
    All keys chromatically and just get used to the sound of them
    Kind regards
    Dabhand

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know where you get your experience. But 4-5 days a week can be enough. Taking a regular day off to get a life can be the very best medicine for any player. Sometimes I recommend 2 days off in a week for school kids due to their playing schedules.

If you have not experienced common sense, your scope could just be too small.

I too advocate paying attention (quality). There are times in our lives though, where we just can't get serious. I still practice during those times although they may only be 70% efficient. SO WHAT! I have plenty of paying gigs and students that can sub for me. I guess it works!

Hichez, one thing that you have to learn is that there are many roads to success and many definitions of success. The successful have figured that out. The rest like to theorize..................

3. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    Look Rowuk, I do practice what I preach. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, which is considered to be the best place for Jazz in the country. Some dumb people are biased on this, but really, just look at the competitions and see who's winning most of them. People from Seattle, Portland, and New York. New York isn't in the PNW, but hey! 2/3 PNW locations sure ain't bad.

And 8 hours of practice a day IS a recipe for success if you're not being a dummy and doing them ALL at once! Nobody was pulling my leg, if anything, you're pulling everybody else's leg with your 15 minute practice BS. Idk how they do things in Germany or in the rest of the USA, but here in the Northwest, OUR musicians actually practice more than just 3 - 4 hours a day.

Here's how you honestly put MY recipe together. Practice is like a workout. Try lifting weights with Mr. Rowuk's 15 minute idea and see how slowly you get results if you get ANY:

15 minutes easy warmup
    30 minutes lip slurs, go for range and good tone
    1 hour major scales (trust me, 1 hour isn't that much time)
    1 hour natural minor scales
    1 hour sightreading/improv, just playing tunes
    15 minutes cool down

BREAK for a 1 - 3 hours, depending on how you feel

15 minutes easy warmup
    15 minutes long tones;5 minutes high, 5 minutes lip slurs, 5 minutes low
    1 hour harmonic minor scales
    1 hour melodic minor scales
    1 hour sightreading/improv, just playing tunes
    15 minutes pedal tones
    15 minutes cool down

I know a guy who used a similar schedule on the tenor sax. He lived in a practice room from 6 am - 10 am, then again for an hour at lunch, again for an hour before rehearsal, then 2 hours at home. Don't tell me that 8 hours is too hard to come by if you're in college, because obviously, you just don't party and drink all the time. Simple as that. I guess you chose to party and be with friends more than improve yourself quicker so you'd have time for that later but hey, nobody's perfect! I didn't do it until last year.

4. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    You're really picking on me because I have a neurological disability that I was born with? Wow Markie, you're a jerk. You're lucky you didn't make fun of my disability in front of me, because if I knew where you were teaching at, I'd tell them you were making fun of someone who has disabilities and how do we know you won't do this to one of your students?

You're a sick teacher who likes to pick on people with disablities.... I hope you get fired for that someday...

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Flame On!
    No, I'm not making fun of your "condition".
    I'm assessing what you've sent.

However, don't take my word for it, assess yourself:
    1)Read the heat you generate in your entries.
    2)Read the disrespectful way you disagree.
    3)Read the manic approach to both your entries and your practice routine.
    4)Read the combativeness in your entries.
    5)Read how you disclose personal medical information to total strangers.
    6)Read how you can't stay on topic (the topic is "minimum practice time")
    7)Read how you contradict your claim of practicing 8 hours a day.
    Here's a small example of your flip flopping:
    7a)I'm currently a college student and my profs are all telling me 8 hrs a day, MINIMUM. So I've been doing that and I gotta tell you, it works wonders.
    7b)When I said practice 8 hours a day, I didn't mean every day of the week.
    -----------------
    Are these the entries of someone standing squarely in sanity, someone who's intoxicated, or the words of someone who forgot to take their meds?
    -----------------
    You also went on to say:
    Wow Markie, you're a jerk. You're lucky you didn't make fun of my disability in front of me, because if I knew where you were teaching at, I'd tell them you were making fun of someone who has disabilities and how do we know you won't do this to one of your students?
    -----------
    Markie says:
    I'm gonna skip the Christmas rush and put you in the Ignore List now!!!!
    "Nuff Said"

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    You know, that's not necessarely true - a friend of mine used to practice like 10 hours a day (not straight) for months and he didn t experience much facial-waste related problems :p altho i do agree that 8 hours for any other player is devastating.

7. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    This is an age old question, the answer of which varies with EVERYBODY... there's no sense in arguing. I know people that practice 8 hours a day every day, and I know people that practice a half hour a day every other day. It all depends on what you want to get out of it!

Personally, playing is a hobby. I look to improve myself yet still have fun. I have a full time job that is not music related, so naturally my goals are different. I take a private lesson once a week, a three hour rehearsal once a week, and average a concert every other week. Based on my goals my instructor has instructed me to practice a half hour every day that I don't have a lesson / rehearsal / performance, while taking Saturday's off. My sessions consist of 5-10 minutes of long tones and slurs, 10-15 minutes of Arban's exercises, 10-15 minutes focusing on trouble spots in with my band's repertoire.

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    WOW! Brilliant!

The thread turned from a discussion about minimum practice time
    to a discussion about maximum practice time.

Amazing!
    I'm thrilled!

I have to practice!

NOW!

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Good catch Nordlands!
    Somehow it got confused. I'm gonna do like you and go practice.

10. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    As usual Rowuk gives sage advice. Don't over do it. If it becomes too tedious and you are no longer having fun, either give up the horn, or change your approach. My teacher during my comeback period 25 years ago gave me some sound advice. He told me that when I felt I had hit a brick wall and got frustrated and angry because I felt I wasn't progressing, or had actually regressed, that I was to put away my horn in the case and forget about it for three days, and then go back to it. It always worked and still does. The main thing is have fun. i also feel there are no formulas for practice. Do what you need to do.ENJOY:roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.