Missed the Horn for too long

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ashbandicoot, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ashbandicoot

ashbandicoot New Friend

Oct 27, 2005
    SoCal
    I have been away from the trumpet for eight years and now have an intense craving to play again. I cannot pinpoint the exact reason, but it must be a combination of my renewed love of jazz along with the memories of how good it felt to play. I love the trumpet in all musical genres, big band, solo, classical, etc. Miles Davis single handedly influenced my love of jazz and the trumpet, but other players like Chuck Mangione and Dizzy Gillespie were influential as well.

I plan on picking up a copy of Arbans, since I can't seem to find my old one, but need some recommendations on other books I should get to help me get back into playing shape.

I also need to buy a new horn, any suggestions on which to pick up? My price max is about $400, but even that is a lot for me. Should I just get an inexpensive student one for now?

I live in Southern California, so if anyone knows of some good teachers out here, please let me know.

Thanks so much for any help, my name is Ashton by the way, I swear i'm not Ashton Kutcher. :-)

Cheers

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    First of all welcome back and welcome to the TM!! Nice to have you here. I know the Clark Technical Studies is a good one to have but I am sure some of the heavyweights on here can chime in and recomend some stuff for you being away from the horn for 8 years. I am a comeback player myself (20 some odd years away from it). I picked up an '66 Olds Ambassador on Ebay for around 250 bucks which I used to get back into it. This was about 3 years ago I have since handed it down to my niece who uses it in 6th grade band and am now playing my Strad. You will be surprised how quickly you start to get back in the groove.....Ofcourse I would recomend private lessons to get you started of on the right foot. Get ready for some very helpful advice from other fellow TM'ers ;-)

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Where in SoCal? I can recommend people in San Diego or LA.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was going to suggest the Clarke Technical studies too - it's hard to go wrong with them.

Welcome back to the fold - we missed you! :D

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Can't go wrong with an Ambassador.

250.00 is a good price to get one "tuned up" for some playing.

Try and get the older models, though.

Van

6. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Welcome Back :-) . Miles Davis single handedly got me started on the trumpet when I saw him in one of his last concerts in 1990. It was incredible, so I know how you feel my friend!

If you are a comeback player then I wouldnt bother with a student horn cause it aint gonna take you to long to get back up to a pro status. Maybe a year or two if you work hard.

I play exclusivly Martin Committee and suggest you check out Ebay to see if you can find one in your range. A great mouthpiece to help you develop a fluid, dark, lyrical sound is a Holton Heim #2 and you can pick up one of those for as little as $30 at

http://www.wwbw.com/Holton-Heim-Series-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-i63592.music

Additionally a Heim #2 is a 10c so it is really small enough to help a comeback player hone in without straining your chops, and will make your high regester easy as pie.

Good luck and keep us aprised of your progress! :cool:

7. ashbandicoot

ashbandicoot New Friend

Oct 27, 2005
    SoCal
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, it's nice to find a forum where people welcome newbies and their questions in the way everyone has.

BigBadWolf,
    I live about half an hour outside Los Angeles, Anaheim is actually the nearest "big city" for location sake. So if you know of any good teachers in LA, it's not too much of a drive for me at all.

The Olds Ambassador sounds like a good deal, although i'm a little unsure of exactly what to look for when buying one, especially from Ebay. There are a few online that I have spotted and am considering. Are there certain serial numbers that I should looks for and on the other hand stay away from? Also is there a year range where the Ambassadors were better?

Any other suggestions of which manufacturer to go with or even to avoid for that matter, if I were to look at something lower in price than the Olds? I just want to make sure I get the most info before the purchase.

Again thanks for all the help and the warm welcome, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers :-)

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Hi, I'm in the same boat but got the bug last Jan. I'm in So. Ca. too, what area are you ?