Missing notes in a passage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Brent McBugler

Brent McBugler New Friend

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    Well, I am new to these forums, so this is my first post. I noticed sometimes when playing notes in a passage (scales, Clarke Studies, music) occasionally I will miss playing a note, like my lips stop buzzing and I get the sound of plain air through my horn. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it is rather annoying, and noticeable, it particularly happens in the morning. I also am constantly thinking about my embouchure as to not use pressure when going higher and also to make sure that I am not rolling my bottom lip under the top or pushing my chin up. I have been playing for 7 years and am a senior in high school, playing for my wind ensemble, concert band, and church orchestra on a regular basis.

I think it may have to do with tonguing, because sometimes when starting to play a note, it feels like my tongue is cutting off the air flow and I don't get a clean attack every time, again, this does not happen all the time, but more often than I would like.

I really would like to know how perhaps my embouchure is messed up and how I can make sure to keep my lips buzzing throughout phrases without missing notes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Could I ask two questions, do you have a private tutor and are you playing the scales etc sotto vocce

3. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry and is the missed note at the begining of the excercise or in the middle

4. Brent McBugler

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    I just recently started to take lessons from my father (I so far have had only one, and have another tomorrow; my band director suggested that I have a private tutor since I play so much and enjoy playing), who played in the Marine Corps for twelve years, and also played throughout high school, and still plays to this day. He assigned me specific exercises in the Clark Studies book (Second and Third studies); other than that I have never had a steady private tutor. Also, if by sotto vocce you mean quiet, then yes, he also told me to play as quiet as you can whilst keeping a steady pitch, which is something I am trying to do on warm-ups (long tones, scales, lip slurs).

5. Brent McBugler

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    The missed note sometimes occurs when I initially put the horn up to my mouth to play, and often times it will be during phrases, where I will be playing and miss a note or it comes out sounding sloppy, like my tongue blocked the air flow or something, but I'm not sure that's the case because I feel like my lips stopped buzzing for a split second.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Brent!

Fixing broken things over the internet is real hard to do, so you can help us help you by answering a couple of questions.

How long have you been playing trumpet?
    What fingerings do the missing notes occur on?

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay I play Clarke 2 and 3 as part of my daily regime and I love missing the odd note because for me that means I am not using too much pressure (sorry Sotto Voce is more or less an operatic term, I used to sing semi pro opera) I would not worry about the odd note going rogue I find if that is happening I am actually playing well (my advanced teacher agrees as long as the airflow is still going) without much pressure, then when I play a piece the pressure issue deals with itself.

hope that helps

A

8. Brent McBugler

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    I've been playing since 6th grade, so seven years now. The missing notes seem to occur randomly, also I noticed when slurring (I am practicing as I write this). For example, on the third Clarke study sometimes it's the last eighth note in the measure, or the first eighth note in the next measure, but it is not always that way, sometimes it just happens on random notes, I can't pinpoint it and I don't feel like I can describe it well enough in writing.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    This is a common problem and the solution is easy.

Spend the next week practicing soft passages or scales and be sure to slur everything.

That should improve for situation.

And one more thing-

Play tunes you enjoy and stop trying to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Paralysis through analysis, think about that.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Brent, a fun game to play with a friend, or you can do it alone too: Place your trumpets on the floor (not too close to each other) mark some paces away, and after deciding which note to play, run to your trumpet pick it up and try to play the named note before your opponent. Be careful not to dent the horns or smash your lip.

The single player version has your horn in your lap, a written note pictured in your mind. Pick up the horn and play that note. Again, don't smash your lip. The farther apart subsequent notes are the greater the challenge. If (when) you miss a note, try again (once again from the lap). Not a lot of thought goes into it; it is sort of like a video game.

If you have a piano handy, try plunking down on one of the keys and then matching that pitch while playing your mouthpiece. Here again, make note of if your note was too high or too low. That's all. Just make note of it and try again.

I'm guessing that inside a week you might be seeing improvement. If so, (or not) let us know how it worked.

Have fun!