Missing tooth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Oct 12, 2013.

1. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I'm missing the first Molar on my top jaw on one side , quite a large gap

Would this be as big a hindrance to my playing as I think?

When I was playing full time I had all of my teeth , and had no problems with range and endurance

Now

Hmph!

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Because of gum problems, after having lost three implants, I spent several months with three molars missing, two on the low jaw and one on the top jaw. I have now two brand new teeth, but I still have a hole in place of the third one (top jaw)…
    During all these adventures, I never felt discomfort to play the trumpet, thankfully!
    Next month I will have the last new tooth, and will be able to smile again (not with the mouthpiece on the lips)!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO-- but if you keep "thinking" about playing, instead of picking up a horn and doing it ----- YOU will never know that I am CORRECT!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL play and be happy my friend

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe. Word on the street is that Dave Steinmeyer, of Airmen of Note fame took an elbow to his chops playing some just for fun basketball. It busted up a bunch of his teeth, but after the swelling went down he discovered he had gained a whole bunch of effortless range. I know of some trumpet players who had a front tooth capped and lost a bunch of range, so it can go either way.

What (other than a lost molar) has changed from the time you were playing full time has changed? Have you taken a bunch of time off between then and now? Can you fill us in a bit more, please?

5. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Coming back after 15 years off

6. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    781323_f520.jpg

7. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Dupac likes this.
  8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That is most likely your problem. Range and endurance are the slowest things to come back after a long lay off.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just think how good he would be if he had teeth, didn't cross his legs, and didn't slouch in his chair? Bottom line - it's different for all of us.

10. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    Loosing teeth is not a good thing because I think we can all agree that we need teeth to play well. The loss of a tooth can put more of a burden on the rest of the teeth, and if they are at all compromised, for example, by bone loss, they tend to weaken and may be lost. An intact dental arch, or any arch, is a very stable element. Spaces, or discontinuities in the arch, cause progressive collapse. It's best to keep that arch intact. Get an implant to fill that space.