Missing tooth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Oct 12, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    an OLD AUSSIE on the comeback trail --- don't worry, my friend -- there are about 25 of you guys in AUSSIE LAND that are comebackers here on TM ----- "so what makes you guys/gals down under QUIT the trumpet all the time???" ----- don't FRET, at least your not coming back to the guitar!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL you quit a difficult instrument that wants you back ----- you will get back, TOOTH OR NO TOOTH, it just takes time!!!!!

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I used to think I knew the answer to this kind of question.

Now, I'm not so sure.

I am quite sure you can play with little or no effect, as long as your front incisors are there. And even then, I think it may be possible to play with implants or even dentures. Others seem to have done it...if they have, why not?

Some adjustments may be needed when any kind of changes occur...so make them and move forward.

That would be my intent, if and when the situation arises.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi RBB, has the missing molar allowed your front teeth to spread? If not I'd expect there should be minimal impact on your comeback potential.
    During my layoff, I lost a tooth next to a front top tooth and have a replacement which is bridged to the teeth on either side. Since resuming playing about 15 months back, I have an extra 1/2 octave range, and am pretty much back to the same endurance I had as a young bloke.

tj

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  4. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I have been playing with dentures for more than 40 years,after a soccer accident.
    Get them adjusted when it´s needed otherwise no problems

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sure it takes a whack to go the denture route, but I've done it ... and if anything, my performance has now improved. I've now a full upper denture and a lower partial with only 4 natural teeth remaining. Prior I was fighting all the irregularities of my teeth and when my frontal incisor caps went down to the gum line, I had no choice.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    At the age of 12 an accident broke my 2 front teeth and I could not play with 2 teeth on a partial denture, 36 years later with a full upper denture as part of a mid life crisis I found I could play again, now at 75 I an still improving.

Regards, Stuart.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Stuart owns a High G - not so shabby IMO

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    cool -- I have a gap between my two front teeth -- and a decent High G (there is no correlation between the teeth - IMHO) -- but it takes the correct technique, the right type of air (fast, faster, more, morer - you decide, but it takes AIR) -- and it takes a decent embouchure to hold the small aperture in order to play that high G ----------------------------------------------- this is purely my own opinion, BUT, I have ALL of my teeth (and even 2 of my wisdom teeth have poked out of my jaw for about the last 31 years --- and they cause me no problems either -------------------------------- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Chet Baker played with his front tooth missing, fearing an embouchure change if he had it replaced.

10. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Around 1983 (I think) when I was on active duty in the Coast Guard, me and a bunch of guys played ice hockey off base, after hours. As you can guess, I got nailed in the mouth with a hockey stick. Oh yeah... knocked the living $*#& outta me, and sent me sprawling down on the ice! Top teeth all over the place, blood all over... It was nasty. Anyway they sent me straight to the ER, where they stitched me up and the next day I had oral surgery and got an upper bridge spanning from eye tooth to eye tooth. I lost a little range, but slowly worked my way back.

Fast forward all these decades later, and due to age and deterioration, the bridgework broke in two, and I was left with a missing piece in the front which made me look like some drunken hillbilly. Try to play trumpet with a missing tooth in the front. I lost a TON of range and my embouchure got seriously screwed up! :shock:

A few months ago, I took the plunge and got a complete upper denture plate. It was recommended by my dentist and oral surgeon/prosthodontist. I am slowly getting back into playing with a denture plate, and found that I can do it and can still play properly with no problems. My range is slowly increasing and I can hit the G on top of the staff with no problems at all. Any higher and I can start to feel the denture plate start to shift with pressure. It's going to take some time and load of practice, but I will do it.

Never give up playing when you have dental issues. There is always a way to work around it!