Mistake: Vaseline on slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Yes but by far the best part of English coinage has to have been the Sovereign spend it or play it

2. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    What--there was no English coin called a Prestige?? (JUST KIDDING!!!!):D

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't mind at all to be dated to the "50s ... such were some of my best years replete with DA, motorcyle jacket and a hotrod and live MUSIC in many places and Seeburgs and Wurlitzer juke boxes in the soda shops, Now I use Wildroot Creme oil or swipe some of my wife's mouse. Yeah, "Get Wildroot Creme Oil Charlie". Yes, I can still buy it. Don't see Vitalis or Burma-Shave anymore. Didn't like Vitalis and Burma-Shave was OK, especially since I used what my Dad bought. I also used his Gillette blue blades, but I had my own razor. Tried Dad's Bay Rum after shave and the girl I was then dating told me I "stank". I told her she "stank" also as she used Evening In Paris perfume. I sure didn't take her to the proms, but I did quit using Bay Rum.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just cleaned my trumpet the other day to prepare for the concert yesterday. I put it all back together, and put the same Vaseline on it, out of the same jar that I have had for 30+ years.

BTW --without buying a new mpc -- I can play 8 semitones higher than when it was dirty!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

ok --- the horn is clean, and really wasn't that dirty to begin with -- so it didn't make much of a change in playability of the horn ---

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's interesting KT - when I clean mine I only get 4 tones.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You're using the wrong snake and/or vaseline!

7. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I have always used vaseline and so has my two uncles who play trumpet. We have never had any problems with red rot caused by vaseline on our slides.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    At 97 replies, we can definitely conclude that there is no evidence that red rot is caused by Vaseline. In fact, it probably helps prevent it. Completely safe.

Lube those tubes and play away.