Mistake: Vaseline on slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The older White Vaseline I think was bleached with chlorine although the residual quantity would not be enough to cause damage to a horn.

Vaseline is not temperature stable and softens with summer temperatures, likewise lanolin. I have a pot of Ultra Pure slide grease, I will try it at the next cleaning session. I use an Ampol red Lithium soap grease on my tuning and second valve slides, 1lb tin cost me 45 cents 40 years ago and will see me out.

For 1st and 3rd slides the best I have found is Stihl chainsaw bar oil, beats everything I have tried in the last 20 years for speed and smoothness.

Regards, Stuart.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Cheers Stumac
    I'll will keep this in mind for the next time I am at Bunnings ...:)

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I can see Norlands getting some inspiration for his Movies with this One!

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Like other old timers here, I've used Vaseline 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly for slides for a long time. Between forty and fifty years ago, during my first period of serious trumpet/cornet playing, it was all I used; and with entirely satisfactory results. Since beginning my comeback, I still use it on some of my vintage instruments. I never personally experienced the minor issues associated with migration noted by other posters either.
    Jim

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cutting edge technology!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ... AND, at $16 a GALLON, a bargain!

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    back in the days when cars had chrome bumpers my grandfather would coat his car bumpers with vaseline every fall then clean the bumpers in the spring. he never had any rust on his bumpers where as most chrome bumpers would show small pitting and then needed waxing to keep the rust away. vaseline causing rust - I don't think so.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. Go with the straight petroleum jelly, which doesn't have all the extra ingredients Vulgano Brother identified at vaselineskinfund.com.

Thanks for the clarification VB. But I take issue with the stereotyping. Not all trumpeters drink beer. Some of us chug them. :-)

Hey fellow Terp Alumn. :-) I agree. It can keep moisture out (corrosion protection like Dave described above). It an also trap moisture in (to help heal chapped lips).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012