Mistake: Vaseline on slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ultra Pure do a little maintenance pack that includes a very light grease for these "adjustable" slides. I add a drop of Ultra Pure valve oil to that and my slides work a treat - mind you, my slides have stops.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I better hurry up and clean the slides on my high school trumpet, or I might get red rot on it. None there yet. But it's only been 44 years, so you can't be too careful........

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Perhaps, a consortium of slide grease manufacturers started the talk that "Petroleum Jelly" causes red rot. Who knows? I've used Petroleum Jelly and slide grease which often smells better.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    My high-school band teacher back in that day, swore by the vaseline and valve oil method, and my Olds Ambassador and Special never suffered from "red rot" as well as any trumpet I have.....I still use it.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have been using Vaseline on my nose in the winter to protect it from the wind. I am proud to say, I have not noticed any red rot in my 50+ years... but stand back when I sneeze... No red rot, you'd even think it would be clean, but it' snot.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ha. Now that is classic!

In the early 60s when I bought my Olds Special, the shop gave me a can of spray silicone to use on the slides and valves. Worked fine. Seems like the can lasted 3 or so years. Wonder why you don't see that anymore? I was tempted to buy a can yesterday while at Wal Mart when picking up a can of penetrating oil for a tuning slide to fix my new 1944 Liberty

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I liked the humor so much that I hereby waive all Editing on the mistake. No problem, Doc!;-)

8. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Even then, they tend to be sluggish. I just oil the first and third slides with al cass and use vaseline everywhere else.

9. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    I don't see how this can be true. I have always used vaseline on all of my horns with absolutely no red rot on any slides at all. On one of my strides I have red rot down the leadpipe and on the inside of the tuning slide, but none on the slide where I put the Vaseline. Suspicious, no?

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    try to use them on a regular basis --- and this will strengthen those spindly little fingers of your, such that they will be strong enough in a few months, that you won't need any tricks like a drop or two of valve oil on the slide. This is the secret to most slide problems -- grease them, then use them --- it's kind of like practice (get a horn, then practice on it) ---- you see EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED TO PRACTICE!!!! that is the secret!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

disclaimer -- just making a point about the cornyandy spindly little fingers --- insults were NOT intended, nor was it intended to offend people with lanky long fingers, or short fat fingers, or people who only use 1 finger in traffic jams to signal a lane change ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012