Mistake: Vaseline on slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You'd think Andy might have gotten the work out needed pinching the salt. That takes some finger "muscle", doesn't it? Just trying to help.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While Vaseline is all that is needed on some slides, there are horns where a slide may need something to thin it. My Olds Super from the 60s had such a tight third slide, that there was no way my spindles fingers could quickly throw it, no matter how much practice. Believe me, if fingers were going to get stronger, they would have over 50 years. Some would say take it to a shop, have it honed down. I'd rather add a couple drops of oil rather than have someone tinkering with the horn and spending the money.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Most of mine are are as slick as a trombone slide. I use lanolin rubbed in, and a drop or two of valve oil. Yep, so slick I tie a ribbon on to the ring and valve block when I put the horn away. It's a big problem when I put one on a stand that doesn't have a stop.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, I have a couple like that --- the 3rd valve slide will pop out if I am not hanging on it, or if I set in on the stand --- got to be very carefull to put my clothespin on for a stop!!!!!

5. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Ha! I broke down and applied some vaseline to one of my slides that was a bit loose. The thickness was actually perfect! Now I have the perfect resistance! ROFL

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    la piece de resistance

Also, I have been noticing TrumpetMD liking a lot of the vaseline posts. Be a little cautious when you are around a doctor that likes vaseline.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Did you hear the one about the newlyweds who didn't know the difference between vaseline and putty?
    Their windows fell out, for one.

8. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    LoL....well, be weary of attorneys who DON'T use it! (bowing head in shame). ROFL

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You see I have a good reason for keeping vaseline in my case

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmmm ...... I wonder if that's where Gumby comes from?