Mistake: Vaseline on slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    One instrument, 9,999 instruments to go to validate ALL. Still wouldn't be an acceptable quality control test, even on a brand new instrument.

How many realize that piston valves are hollow?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can also do this with a Bach practice mute, just put your finger over the whole. BE WARNED, IT BACKS UP IMMEDIATELY (at least on my horns since I clean them)! Blow easy!

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    My only question is where's it going to back up to anyway? And then what is going to happen? Sorry, that was two questions.:oops:

4. Steve S.

Steve S. New Friend

Aug 3, 2012
    Chicago
    When I worked at Schilke, we used anhydrous lanolin, and they still do. You can find it at the pharmacy, just ask the pharmacist. It comes in a large container so you'll need lots of horns!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not in the formulary of Wal-Mart, Walgreens, DrugCo, or CVS and these will not order it. Not in baby aisles in these either. I got mine here at Health foods store, 4 0z, @ $6.95 plus sales tax. Been using it since 2009 on at least 25 instruments and still have more than 3.5 ounces left. Like Bryllcream, "a little dab will do".

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you blow like a fiend, it may come out your ears (like sneezing) or nose (again, like sneezing) with "stuff". Then you're looking for "it"!

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Be careful Ed. You're dating yourself. I don't think the youngsters here know what Brylcreem is. :-)

At around 39 seconds in, I love how the following commercial describes it as "disturbingly healthy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto

Mike

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Brylcreem what I used to use on my hair when I played cricket, I was a bowler, ermm nuff said (off topic a bit but what the heck) I use vaseline on my slides, valve oil and on occasions gob oil (in an emergency and clean the valves soon after) on my valves. On my mobile slides I use a little vaseline then a drop or two of valve oil and work that in seems to work for me. I've only seen one case of "Wed Wot" on a horn I bought for 45 quid off ebay and that is negligable.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Didn't know you could buy Wed Wot on ebay. Guess they will sell you anything.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My, My how times have changed:

Axe for Men Commercial - YouTube