Mistake: Vaseline on slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If you have 45 quid it's all yours I guess!!
    The scary thing is I pretty much do the same thing with my tuning slides on my trumpet. The valve oil part, but I use Selmer slide grease now.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Have you guys lost the plot ? A 45 squid horn but with two tiny insignificant dots of Wred Wrot (with a silent W)

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    The plot seems to keep changing. First you said 45 quid, and now it's 45 squid? What are either one of those things? I know what a squid is, but not so sure of a quid.

Could you possibly mean;
    quid 1 |kwid|
    noun ( pl. same) Brit., informal
    one pound sterling : we paid him four hundred quid.
    ORIGIN late 17th cent.: of obscure origin.

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    £45 English type pounds

Quid -- slang for pound
    Squid -- slang for Quid from six pounds being on ill mollusc ie sick squid

In all seriousness I got a very nice BM Champion, on a buy it now with a tiny bell crease and a couple of tiny tiny spots of red rot for 45 pounds including delivery (about 72 bucks) so I am happy

the valves fly and the compression is superb, everything moves where it should. My point was that it is the only case of red rot I have ever seen despite vasleineing my valves and lips at regular intervals

BigDub likes this.
  5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And what a fine education I am receiving from TM.
    Andy, you are one funny character, and thanks for the entertainment. I now have more useless, I mean useful information to clutter this brain of mine.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well done Big Dub - we Aussies knew about "unwell crushedasians" already so the plural of quid was obviously squid.

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It's a good job it didn't cost two of those English currency bits, or I would have had to have admitted to paying for a horn with a pair of knickers

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... and the clarity of the English language continues to amaze speakers of other tongues.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    i got lost on quid-pro-quo!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I ponder why the Brits did away with the crown and half penny in their monetary coinage. Never could find my way back to the Half-Penny Bar that I think was (or maybe still is) inside a London hotel, possibly the very one I was staying at. Leastwise, then I wasn't paying to stay there, and most of the time I wasn't. Then the days were long and the nights too short.