Mistakes Audition Tapes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    So I made an audition tape for Honor Band. My trumpet teacher said that no one makes a perfect tape, and I made a minor mistakes but kept playing for technical tape. It was recorded and he sent it in. I only recorded a few times for this Honor Band.

Is it true other people send in tapes with minor mistakes in few notes. You can tell it sounds wrong at one part.

I didnt have enough time to record myself more because stupid marching band, and I had to go.

I only recorded maybe five times, and took the best one of it. All had mistakes, but the technical tape sent in had the least.

And I think I only played it 104 bpm. That's not too slow for technical audition tape, right?

2. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I'm concerned I might not make he group because of my mistake in audition tape.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Everyone makes mistakes. If I were reviewing the tapes, I would be more impressed with someone who made a mistake and was able to recover from it than someone who had a flawless tape. The chances of a player being nervous and messing up in concert, especially among younger players is high, so someone who can recover is someone with a very valuable performance skill.

4. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Don't worry about it. Almost nobody plays the audition material completely flawlessly. I was just in the Manitoba Senior Honor Band. I made a couple of mistakes in my audition tape on my best takes and I still made third chair. Don't sweat it. Whatever happens happens.

5. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    How fast did you play your technical audition? Is 104 bpm with all 16th notes too slow for technical audition?

6. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    There wasn't really a "technical" audition if I recall correctly; they gave us some scales to be played in eighths at 120 bpm (2 octave Bb, A, and C chromatic) and then two excerpts, one slow, lyrical one at 60 bpm and then an excerpt from this concerto (forget which one) at about 96. Sorry I can't be of more help.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Passion,
    beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. How your recording is judged depends on the person listening.

My list of virtues in order of importance:
    #1) Solid rhythm - there is no excuse for rhythmic problems period. They just show bad preparation. Even a bad day will not mess rhythm up!
    #2) Tone - a nice tone is important for a good sounding ensemble
    #3) Adequate technique - the judge knows how hard the music will be and needs players that have enough skills.
    #4) evidence that the player cares. This is a BIG DEAL. A well prepared recording with good dynamics and decent preparation shows how badly you want this! How bad a mistake is depends on the mistake. If it is evidence that the preparation was sloppy, then that is instant K.O. If it is a cracked note, no sweat-it happens to the best of us!