Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sounds like a good band name! We should have a get-together sometime.

Ive talked a lot about myself. What kind of stuff are you guys working on at the moment? What new horns have you got? Do you play other instruments?
    pi am in the hunt for recordings of the same person playing the same thing on multiple trumpet makes, so I can hear the differences. I wonder if anyone has done science around this.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Misty,

if you come to Melbourne, between Peter and myself we could put up 50+ different horns for you to try.

Approaching 75 at end of march most of my work is concentrated on maintaining the status quo with some range and ear training.

My most recent horn is a 1925 Besson New Creation for restoration along with several others in pieces for modification. I play French horn in a community Orchestra.

I shall attempt to make a recording for you, I have a Zoom H4 recorder, I only have to learn how to use it.

Regards, Stuart.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have a Zoom H3 -- pretty simple to use -- so I have no doubts that you can use it very soon ---- between the 2 of you put up 50 + horns, you guys must have really gotten the N+1 bug!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Are you using Aussies and science in the same thread? Let alone trumpeters and science?

Trent Austin recorded some clips on three different horns on a recent thread, and his poll results were all over the map. Vulgano maxim: the right instrument finds you.

National schools of playing have pretty much died out--there is the tradition of rotary trumpets in the Germanic speaking countries along with the German Posaunenchor and British Brass Band as "National" (although International) styles. The English "meat and potatoes" approach that our Australian friends may have learned at the feet of their British Masters has been supplanted by some really fine finesse in the trumpet world.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hey we have a lot of Science in Oz.
    And finesse -well I use it all the time in 500. But a Chainsaw for pruning roses, a machete for a butter knife, a shearing comb to trim the beard, and a ride on V6 mower to do the lawn - now we're talking finesse.

And recording equipment? well I still have a couple of VCRs stached, with floppy drives, and a Handicam. Stuart is streets ahead of me on technology stuff.

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I use a shearing comb on my beard too. I also have an Australian oilskin coat. When I wear that with my beard and shorts, nobody on the streets asks me for money or cigarettes. That's finesse.

On the other hand, I don't get many dates.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    So true VB. Trying to fend off a vicious case of N+1 six months into a comeback, I've been a sucker for Olds (possibly because I couldn't have one when I was a kid). An old Conn 22B did however sneak into my collection. Last week I had an audition to get into a music course at a local college and went through my horns to see which one was most comfortable for the audition and the 22B did it. The notes just fell into place.

Misty, whilst the weather in Melbourne is nowhere near as bad as the banana-benders in Queensland will tell you, maybe it fosters "collection sports" a little more. Most of my horns were ebay purchases and most of them came via good ol' USPS. As far as putting them to work, I'm currently playing with a community band, a rock band and am heading off this afternoon to pay my enrollment fees for part-time music course at a TAFE college.

The community band has been the surprise packet for me - I grew up playing in brass bands and don't remember enjoying it as much as I do now.

tj

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My wife has one of those Aussie coats too. Used it as a duster/slicker for CAS.

How's about Misty Oz?:dontknow:

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well I'm actually NOT an Aussie (yet). I just live here. I'm a good ol' American.

Back in the office for the first time since last Friday, after having a holiday Monday and having to work from home Tuesday and Wednesday. Here is the latest excitement in Brisbane: a train derailed at Cleveland south of the city! Thankfully very few injuries but a crazy amount of damage.

Train crashes into station on bayside - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

[​IMG]

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK, so you asked about science and Aussies earlier and then you have this evidence that they can't drive trains. Driving a train ain't rocket science!