Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, but just think of the LUNG power on "that beast" -- AIR AIR AIR --- that is sometimes a key ingredient in the trumpet!! ROFL ROFL ROFL how's that (Hey, It's A Ted)? keeping in line with trumpet discussion.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Well Misty, for what it's worth --- I actually like the Bach 72 (with sticky valves or not) ---- for me, that one seemed the "clearest" in tone , not that you made the others sound bad or anything -- just the 72 seemed better!!!!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I think you'd need a skilled Kiwi sheep shearer before you could use an electro vibrating Gillette Fusion razor like the one I have and currently use. I've a bit of a razor and their accessory collection. While in USAF someone stole my Rolls razor and I wish I could get another. They missed in the attack on me with a straight razor because I threw my head back ... they cut me upward against my mandible and I bled profusely ... now it just looks like I've a small double chin. Had it contacted my throat, I might not have been here now to tell of it. I was not a LEO then! Too, I had not made my comeback to the brass music either.

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks KT. Very interesting.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    7C
    Sound... I like the Bach 37 over the 72... 72 also makes a lot of valve noise; Your control is better on the 37; Sounds like you're working too hard on the 72
    Not surprisingly the Yamaha 8310z is cleaner... towards the sound of the Bach 37... Sounds like this may be the easier of the three horns for you to blow... Still give the Bach 37 the edge for a "more mature" sound
    Shagerl Achillies is a little too sweet of a sound for my taste... It does seem as easy as the Yamaha for you to blow
    Shagerl Penelope is a darker sound... also sounds like you are not as fluid on this horn... tone harder to control

3C
    Bach 37 still sweet sound but you loose control with the 3C; Still like the sound you get more with the 37 over the 72... sound is more pinched with this mouthpiece on this horn.
    Yamaha with 3C... sweet like the Bach 37 but with better control, but I get the feeling this is taking more energy for you to play than the Bach 37
    Shagerl Achillies looses its sweetness with this piece and intonation gets pinched... the ease of play feel becomes lost
    Shagerl Penelope is not as dark with this mouthpiece but still has more of a tenor sound... and you have the hardest time of all controlling this one

My overall vote: The Bach 37 with the 7C.. It gives you the prettiest sound... so pretty, it makes me blush. You took us on a nice test run with this post...

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Misty, you just got to understand... this is coming from the ears of a man that spent most of the day locked in a snow plow working on the 30" dumped on New York... I am sure he still has the vibrations of a diesel engine in his head... Resonates more with a heaver sounding instrument such as the Bach 72!

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can't help thinking it made you blush because of all the clams and airballs. LOL

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Here is my write-up about my experiences trying the horns:

Trumpet Trial

• Bach 37 ML
    • Bach 72 ML
    • Yamaha 8310Z
    • Schagerl Achilles
    • Schagerl Penelope
    • Jupiter 7C
    • Bach 3C

In general, the Bach 37 and Yamaha had the nicest sound, to me. The Bach 37 sounded "classier" with a nice zing to the sound. It sounded really trumpety.

The Bach 72 sounded dark and cottony but I almost felt like I was overplaying it because of that.

The Bach 72 had a sticky first valve (you can hear it in the recording). I stopped and oiled it at one point but it didn't help a lot. Also, the third valve slide was extremely loose on the Bach 72, to the point that it was falling down when the horn was on the stand. I wasn't too impressed with the build quality of this particular Bach 72. I'm not too fussed about that, because I was not aiming to buy THIS horn at this time. When the time came I would be prepared to sift through as many horns as possible to find the right one.

The Yamaha sounded more "just a trumpet" but in a good way. It was the easiest to play. But it felt "small". Maybe it was how light-weight it was. I didn't get excited about it.

The Schagerls sounded nice in the low and mid range, but I had big slotting problems at the top, especially with the Penelope. I was hitting notes on the lip trills that I had no idea were there (and I'm not talking about the Bb before the open C above the staff). They did not feel very secure to me. The sounds I got out of these horns were darker to my ears. I went into this thinking I liked darker, but in practice I didn't find it as exciting as I thought.

The Schagerls were heavy as. They have really cool hexagonal valve buttons, and I liked the look over the straight bracing. There is a thing that wraps around the bell, that attaches to the brace between the bell and the lead pipe. Not sure what you would call it or what it does, but it's distinctive.

Truthfully I did not examine the looks of any of the horns too closely. I didn't want to be swayed by that.

The mouthpieces: Jupiter 7C (my normal one) and Bach 3C.

I am used to the 7C and I felt like things sounded best with it, but the 3C seemed easier to play. If I had not switched to the 3C I think I would have been very tired by the end of the test, but I wasn't tired at all, even though I had played around at the top of my range a few times. I honestly think that given time on the 3C it would sound the same as the 7C does now, but more secure. Keep in mind that I come from a horn background, so I think that the slightly roomier mouthpiece feels more natural to me. This despite the fact that I know the 3C is roomier at the rim, while a typical horn mouthpiece has a deeper conical cup.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    this could be true with 20+ hours of OT in the past few days ---- which means the reverberations and vibrations are of a DEEPER, DARKER sound, like the Diesel engine, although if you ever listened to a diesel engine, it does go "clikety clack" just like those sticky valves -- so perhaps I am accustomed to that this week.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I liked the Yamaha the best. It has a nice compact sound and records well.

Your recording, however, brought out the teacher in me. If you play any trumpet like it is a horn, you are going to get a woofy sound. Attack the instrument, overpower it, and then learn to back off. Learn to take it on from the top side of "too much" for a while. Play like an attacking drop bear, sort of like one of KT's relatives, but let your own sweet self shine through.