Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have the book too - was a little concerned it would be pitched too much at beginners but in fact the concepts and exercise recommendations are good for everyone. The videos complement the book. I recommend it. I also found the stuff written by Pops McLaughlin very good too, as well as doing exercises from Schlossberg and Arban very useful. Search TM for a link to Rusty's exercise (sorry, I'm using phone and can't check just now myself. I'll update the post later if I can find it).

--bumblebee

Here is the link I was thinking of, and it was Rusty, not Randy:
    http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/
    ...and a Trumpet Herald post which refers to this:
    http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103078&highlight=1930s

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have had Greg,s book for a couple of years and use it often especially if I have been away from the horn for a week or so, also had a couple of lessons with him, throughly recommend both.

Regards, Stuart.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too have this book - purchased relatively recently, and am still feeling my way with it - life continues to interfere with trumpet playing.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For crappin out loud Ted... You're retired. I'm teaching three courses currently at a medical school, actively editing for two international and national medical journals, serving on three committees for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and playing regularly with a jazz Quintet, and still can post from 10-20 posts a day on TM... Ok so perhaps I am a bit manic... but were are your priorities man!:-P

[You know of course Ted... I am posting this tongue in cheek, and with a large glass of dark amber beer in my belly... ya know I love ya man!]

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The problem is that in Australia it takes a lot of effort to translate English into Australian. Plus, they have to look out for drop bears, spiders and such.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    G-man, since I retired in 04, finding time to do stuff has been hard for me, too. Once youdo, you wonder how you had time to do everything when you were working!:roll::dontknow::oops::cool:

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well I bought the book. And the wind sticks, though I am dubious about them.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... Thank God for the Beer then - pfwew, I thought you were out of control my friend.

I spend time maintaining 5 power boats for the local sailing club, and manage and their rescue craft fleet. I assist in maintaining many of the 40 historic airplanes in a flying museum 85 kms from home - but only one or two days a week. I rehearse and perform with two concert bands and one stage band. In addition I maintain the gardens in my Mother's home, and in my own. I maintain three motor vehicles, and try to keep my wife happy - these are the voluntary things that get in the way of reading trumpet books and posting on TM. My life is full, and fun, and I squeeze as much from my time as I can without getting old too early. And then (of course) there is beer.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :lol:

PS: Can hardly wait until I'm retired so I can work my a$$ off too.;-)

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gee -- it didn't look that big in your pics --- perhaps you had better fatten the gluteus maximus up a bit GM -- so you can have a BIG GOAL in "mind" when you retire --- ROFL ROFL ROFL