Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You live in rural Washington State dude, where women are scarce and the sheep are scared!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In Australia, men are men... women are women... and sheep have pouches...

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No sheep I've seen have pouches ... perhaps you should have an opthamalogy examination.

Sometimes I'm not sure about the others, but that's a LEO story.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    They aren't scared if you treat them nicely.

[​IMG]

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had an awesome practice today. On the tunes, I have the full treble staff range back. I was having a lot of fun playing melodies like "Send in the clowns" and"That'll be the day" out of my ukulele book. Of course I started out by playing about 15 minutes of Claude Gordon lesson 4. That, 5 minutes of rest, and 10 minutes of tunes has left me feeling happy and not too tired.

I think my buzzing in the first valve is actually the first slide. I will try a thicker grease than the ultraPure and see if that does it.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's a Driza-Bone VB - but don't ever put it away wet.

I play in two community concert bands, have a standing invitation to play with two community based big bands, and a well regarded local Brass Band. I spend playing time with my two sons, one on tuba (although this is a little rare nowadays) and the other on trombone - how I wish I was half the musician he is. I seem to be the only one who actually knows my trumpetting limitations - but I sure have lots of fun. I play 5 different trumpets, one at a time, as the mood takes me, and can fettle a tenor horn relatively effectively - when I'm on my own the mouth organ is my torture of choice. My most rewarding gigs of the year are the ANZAC Day performances on the 25 April, and sitting in with a jobber band for the annual ABODA Conductors Course with Jerry Nowak. I have an Alaskan mate, Tommy, who joins us in Oz around the middle of the year as he escapes the northern winter to visit his disabled nephew here in Sydney - and I have TM. For science, I play with old airplanes having spent 42 years 7 months and 20 days with the national flag carrier as a maintenance engineer and an engineering instructor. Oh, I don't have a beard.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Peter McNeill likes this.
  7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Quantas,Ted?

I've been playing off & on since I was 10. Was first chair first from my 2nd year in HS. took some time off after high school, then picked it back up around '75. Played in a college/community group, then a concert band formed for the Bi-Centennial. A stint with a Contemporary Christian group and a church group, then another break. Now a few years into comeback again, play sit-down concerts with the wife's alumni band and sound TAPS for BAA:oops:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Exactly!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nah Buck - I worked for Qantas - the 'word' was originally derived as an acronym from Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services a small inland mail and passenger firm flying between Winton and Longreach in Queensland. It started on Nov 20, 1921 the same year the Royal Australian Air Force came into being. We tend to get a little defensive about the inclusion of the U in the word though - no biggy.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My bad:roll::lol: We don't see ads for that airline much here around the north coast, so the spelling was more of a guess:oops: