Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's kind of amusing, the way different Nationalities have different sensibilities. In North America, we pronounce the ewe in Qantas and the Australians don't even acknowledge it.

Weird.

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    You have a point,VB:oops:

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    VB, we have enough to be going on with, without worrying about a ghost U. We have Capalaba, Indooropilly, Woolongong, Mooloolaba, Cairns (pronounced like Cans), Coorparoo, and Mullumbimby to worry about. Living in Australia is a tongue twister.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Wales would be another good one to get your tongue tied up in, Misty:roll::oops:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Misty's not been here all that long, but she is probably aware that all these common places here in Oz were rendered into song in 1962 by one Lucky Starr see link:
    I've Been Everywhere (Australian version) - Lucky Starr - YouTube

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's somewhat reminscent of previous posts discussing the silent (and invisible) "H" in Volkswagen VB.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My point, Buck, was that because the word Qantas didn't have it's roots in the spoken language, but was concocted from an acronym, then the normal rules for the letters following the letter "Q" don't apply. That you had not recognised the entymology was understandable - I wasn't taking the Mick - I was just attempting to follow through on that educational stream that is your ongoing introductory training programme to the Aussie spoken language. When I'm satisfied that you all have a good grasp of "Oz as She is Spoke - 101" then we move to the written word :whistle:

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Woolloomooloo - always grabs my attention because it seems to have too many 'o's in it... and Coober Pedy which I've heard stems from the aboriginal words for "White man in a hole". (It's a famous opal mining area.)

Others include Wonglepong, Ozenkadnook, Wagga Wagga (you shouldn't just say "Wagga" though many do), and am puzzled that a town be called "Useless Loop"...

At least names in Wales don't even pretend to be in the english language.

--bumblebee

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We were taught to spell Woolloomooloo .... with Double U, double O, double L, double O, M, double O, L, double O ...... easy really. Many of the Aussie towns you mention here BumbleeBee are derived from the Australian Aboriginal names - many of which have been around, arguably, for 40,000 years - long before 162,000 convicts arrived and snaffled them for their own use.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Ted,

that is as I've been told -- and why I am happy to prefer to call Ayers Rock "Uluru". Back in my old country, a little town called Ráthluirc was renamed as Charleville by a supporter of the English king of the time and only when Ireland became a free state again was the older name restored. Other cities, such as Dublin, haven't quite recovered their original names in everyday use.

("Charleville" is still used as well I should point out before somebody else does.)

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013