Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Alone here in Washington State we have a Sequim (the "e" is silent), Walla Walla, and a lot more towns and cities with Native names. We also have George, Washington. In the days before direct-dial long distance operators would routinely hang up on people requesting a call to George Washington on New Year's eve.

2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
  3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    An Australian ventriloquist visiting New Zealand, walks into a small village and sees a local sitting on his porch patting his dog. He figures he'll have a little fun.
    Ventriloquist: "G'day Mate! Good looking dog, mind if I speak to him?"
    Villager: "The dog doesn't talk, you stupid Aussie."
    Ventriloquist: "Hello dog, how's it going mate?"
    Dog: "Doin' all right"
    Villager: (look of extreme shock)
    Ventriloquist: "Is this villager your owner?" (pointing at the villager)
    Dog: "Yep"
    Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"
    Dog: "Real good. He walks me twice a day, feeds me great food and takes me to the lake once a week to play."
    Villager: (look of utter disbelief)
    Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your horse?"
    Villager: "Uh, the horse doesn't talk either....I think."
    Ventriloquist: "Hey horse, how's it going?"
    Horse: "Cool"
    Villager: (absolutely dumbfounded)
    Ventriloquist: "Is this your owner?" (pointing at the villager)
    Horse: "Yep"
    Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"
    Horse: "Pretty good, thanks for asking. He rides me regularly, brushes me down often and keeps me in the barn to protect me from the elements."
    Villager: (total look of amazement)
    Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your sheep?"
    Villager: "The sheep's a liar"

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I have a cousin that lives in pullyalup(SP?):oops:

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    From my understanding of the operation of a train (I have owned them and had them going around the Christmas tree) you have no ability to steer a train. It should just follow the track........something went off a bit.......:-P

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Did you mean, Puyallup, Washington? I think that is the spelling you were looking for.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There's quite a bit more to being a train engineer than that, starting with speed control as to maintain schedules with other trains, in some instances getting your train into a siding when another train is heading directly at you otherwise. Whoops, the switch to the siding is malfunctioning or your train is too long to get entirely into that siding. Too, there are conditions of the track layout where speed must be reduced as directed by NTSB on such as bridges, trestles and road and highway crossings. Too, the engineer must look out for natural hazards, such as floods that wash out the track bed, rock and mud slides, and snow accumulation or avalanches, or just plain lack of visibilty ahead to reveal all these conditions. That's assuming the engine(s) is/are operating as it/they should. Ain't nothing an engineer of an electric train can do when there is a power grid failure, but like a domino effect the rail system begins grid lock. Too, seismic circumstances can shut down railroad traffic. You just don't have all these problems to stay alert for on the little model trains going round and round your Christmas tree.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As much as I can, I put in lip time on piccolo trumpet, regular Bb trumpet. cornet, F marching mellophone, and euphonium. Too, I've acquired a Holton cornet that Ivan modified with a receiver for a trumpet mouthpiece. As I sight read / transpose C music for a Bb instrument, I've not the need of a C instrument.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oooh, what you do with Ewe --- and the Australians don't even acknowledge that!!

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's rude, KT! Everyone knows its kiwis with the sheep shenanigans. :-o