Misty and the Aussies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wouldn't mind giving free lessons to any doctor. I'd have a studio with a waiting room and let them wait an hour or so, and a fridge and bathroom in the studio. Guess what the fridge would be stocked with? Mhah-hah-hah-hah-hah! Meanwhile, the Black Dyke Band would move to Brisbane just so Misty could play in it, and I'd have even more students.

2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    While GM was narrating As The Trumpet Blows, I fixed my first slide rattle! I had been a bit too stingy with the slide grease, and adding a bit more seems to have done the trick. I used to use Schilke on my French horn and I remember it being more sticky than the UltraPure. Maybe I need that on the 1 slide only. Do you guys have horns with such picky tastes?

I also made contact with a trumpet player in a local quintet who might be able to offer me some lessons. I want to ask around in band tomorrow night too though. So we will see how it goes.

Playing the trumpet was amazing after a really frustrating day at work. :play:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Misty discovers work is frustrating because trumpet playing makes other people not only deaf, but dumb, too. Meanwhile, Doc and VB, in their secret lab, feverishly work on a universal slide grease that works on all trumpets and all slides. KT tries to enter Australia, but at the last moment is revealed to be the evil Emiticon Man by Doc and is repelled by a crack team of drop bears....

I generally use a thicker grease on my seldom moved slides (2nd and tuning). Got to remember, Misty, that just as every man's dream is to own every tool out there we want a full stable of lubricants too. Sort of like women and face creams. Sometimes, if an older horn has been chemically cleaned the springs will rattle, which can be fixed by putting (guess what!) slide grease on them. Lipstick works too, but only until the wife finds out.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Misty,

Slide rattling? I have not yet encountered that. I think a good tech could eliminate the rattle for very little cost/effort. If slides are that loose, I wonder if your sound is affected.

Concerning taking lessons, best wishes for finding a good teacher that you are comfortable with. You probably do not need a reminder by now, but Skype lessons may be an attractive alternative for you too. There are several competent teachers here on TM that can provide such lessons.

Trumpet playing provides stress relief for me too, especially after a particularly frustrating day on campus. Some days I am almost in a rush to begin practicing.

Jim

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Jim, I see that you are in Fort Wayne. I have a long history in that area. I went to Grace College, then after a few years in California moved back to Tippecanoe with my husband. We had a hobby farm where we raised about 80% of our own food. I actually studied horn with Mike Lewellen, the principal horn with the Fort Wayne Phil. Which campus are you speaking of?

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Tippe area is lots of fun. Our family had a lake home on the Knapp Lake chain, east of Webster Lake, for over 30 years. It was a home I built when I worked as a carpenter as a young man.

I am a program chair at Ivy Tech Northeast - not a bad gig for someone in the twilight of their career. The name of the present principal trumpet for the FTW Phil escapes me, but is Mr. Lewellen still the principal horn? I'll try to notice Saturday night - we will be attending their concert. My private teacher over 40 years ago was the principal horn.

Grace is a nice college, Misty. We know several who have graduated from there.

Jim

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, it was fun living in the country, though it was annoying to have to drive 45 minutes to South Bend to go to the shops!

Ivy Tech does good work in that community.

Yes, Mike is still there: The PHIL - Michael Lewellen If he remembers me at all, it will probably be as the slackest student he ever had. One of my biggest regrets is not taking things very seriously back then. I ended up switching to Bryan Gibson after two years, because the trip to Fort Wayne for lessons was just too long. Here is his bio: Bryan Gibson - French Horn I don't know if he still does, but Bryan used to work for the bassoon factory in South Bend, Fox Products. That whole area is full of instrument makers and sellers, as you well know. I used to go up to Woodwind and Brasswind all the time.

I started there as a music major and ended up as a minor. I am just distraught that they have closed their music department. I think it is such a wrong move to make, and to be honest, it makes me feel like my degree is less valuable now.

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We lived northeast of Columbia City on a small farm for nearly 20 years. We built the home ourselves and raised our sons there. Good times, but plenty of work. Our "empty nest-er special" is plenty for us these days.

Ivy Tech does perform an important mission in Indiana. I am happy to be associated with it.

Thank you for the links, Misty, I believe I remember Michael Lewellen now. Alan Severs is principal trumpet The PHIL - Alan Severs. He teaches at Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne (IPFW), I've been told. It is indeed too bad that there is no music program at Grace any longer, I had not heard that yet.

The instrument manufacturers in Elkhart are one of the reasons (one of the sillier ones, I suppose) that I am a little partial to Bach and Blessing - quite an instrument manufacturing heritage in these parts.

Jim

9. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    If lipstick works I guess Vegemite will to

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Vegemite = Breakfast of Champions - TA:play:DA:play: