MN Tourlet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear All,

It's nice to be back behind the laptop again.

The tour was dandy although this time I had a hell of a time shaking the "Gotta keep my eyes open for this one" and many of us were feeling that way. I think i figured it out, though. At Orchestra Hall the temperature is always under very good control. We played exclusively on school stages, a couple dating from the 1920s! However, what that means is that we were much closer to the hot lights than usual. Couple with that a usual meal before the acoustic rehearsal and concert and, bingo! You just want to fall peacefully asleep!

That's why we don't take big repertoire on these little tours, the stages are too small. I love going on them because the audiences are very, very appreciative of having their orchestra come to see them. They always have nice receptions for us. I also got to do a little clinic/demo/master class for Del Lyren at Bemidji State University and had a great time with an old friend who lives up there with his family, Paul Loxtercamp.

I took the Black Beauty on this one because I knew it would be a lovely drive and it was. The Chippewa Forest is just waking up from the winter slumber and soon the Northern Minnesota greenery will be at its finest. Those are some seriously thick forests in places.

Brainerd, the first stop is Paul Bunyan country. For people not familiar with the American legend of PB he was a giant who was responsible for clearing much of the wooded area in Minnesota with just one swing of his mighty axe. You get the idea. The other reason he's significant is because he was so big he would leave immense footprints everywhere he walked and that's why we have so many lakes in Minnesota. The rain filled in the footprints and there you go.

Hibbing, the last stop, was where one Robert Zimmerman grew up. Again, if you're not from here you might know him better as Bob Dylan. There are pictures of him EVERYWHERE! It is also the center of what was once a thriving taconite industry. That's the stuff you mine if you're interested in creating steel. That geographical area is known as "The Iron Range". It was pretty important until we started getting our steel from Japan. Don't ask me... I just report the news, I don't make it.

Anyways, it's nice to be back... it feels like I've been away much longer than I actually was, oddly enough. Tonight I have a Haydn to play at the U of River Falls, WI. I'm conducting a piece on the program, too. Brahms' Academic Overture to end the show.

The balance of the week welcomes back our old MD, Edo deWaart. We're playing a bunch of great stuff while he's here for the next two weeks. Among the rep to be played is Symphonie Fantastique, music from Three Penny Opera, Oiseaux Exotique (Messaien), and Symphonic Danses from West Side Story which we recorded with him many years ago.

It wouldn't be a complete week without an MYS concert, now, would it? So, of course we have the final show of the year this coming Sunday If you're in town or nearby, honestly, don't miss this oe. It's going to be a lollapalooza and it all finishes with Pines at the end. Be there or be nowhere. If you're a younger TMer who lives in the Twin Cities and you're not already a member, I HIGHLY recommend you check it out what all the fuss is about. Next Sunday, 2pm.

Respectfully submitted, 7:54 am CST.

ML

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You're a lucky man.
    Welcome back

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thanks for sharing that, Manny. Sounds like it was a wonderful tour.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So what part of China were you in?

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The part where Paul Bunyan used a pair of oaks for chopsticks and walleye for sushi, wiseguy... and don't tell me sushi isn't Chinese... I know, I KNOW! It was a stretch, so, sue me!

(Sosumi? Is that like sashimi?)

ML

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks! I get disoriented sometimes!

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    (Okay, here we go...)

On purpose or does it happen occidentally?

ML

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :lol:

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I thought it was that kosher sushi retaurant.

Michael McLaughlin

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey!

Who cleaned up after Babe?....and is that how Minnesota got all those lakes?

Sounds like a great time away Manny!

-cw-